Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Playing off of a UPS battery backup??

Does anyone have any experience with some of the really big battery backup units? I live in South Florida, and it looks like we may have a hurricane this weekend, and if I have to sit around doing nothing, I'd obviously like to be productive and get some hands in. Since we could have power outtages that last a while, I'm looking to see how long I could potentially play with a battery unit. I have a Sony 17" laptop and a DSL modem, and I'm trying to find a backup system that will last for several hours (if that's possible). I looked through a bunch of web sites, but couldn't really tell how long each unit will power my setup. Anyway, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm willing to spend a few hundred bucks on it, but it has to be something I can go buy at CompUSA or whatever. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:36 PM

Default Re: Playing off of a UPS battery backup??

Most UPS battery backups are just going to provide 15-45 minutes depending on their capacity and how many system components you have plugged into the backup outlets (you want to plug printers, etc. into the surge protect only outlets to free up capacity for mainboard & monitor). Thus the only way you are going to be able to play in a long outtage is to have a generator.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:38 PM

If you want to be up for hours, you need to look into a generator, not a UPS.

If you want to play in the middle of a hurricane, you might want to check out this link
Old 08-24-2005, 04:09 PM

Thanks fellas, I thought about the generators, but wasn't sure if a battery could do the same thing for cheaper. I'll check some out. I laughed at the link Deucekicker, I figured this post would get some sort of repsonse like that. Take it easy.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:16 PM

How long does the battery in your laptop last? You could always get a couple of spares, and keep em charged up for a rainy day.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:08 PM

You can buy inverters that plug into a car electrical system and provide 110V with enough wattage to run a laptop (Walmart has them, and probably Radio Shack. Then, if you have a full tank of gas, all you need to do is idle your car engine.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can buy inverters that plug into a car electrical system and provide 110V with enough wattage to run a laptop (Walmart has them, and probably Radio Shack. Then, if you have a full tank of gas, all you need to do is idle your car engine.

[/ QUOTE ]

He really does need to click that GA link in the other post if he idles his car in the garage during a hurricane so he can play online. And he'll still need a way to power a wireless router.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:18 AM

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of idling the car outside after the hurricane is over. Sometimes it takes several days to get the power back on after a hurricane. But your right: He still needs some kind of internet connectivity. Phone lines and cable are also likely to go out during and after a hurricane. Also, you could rig one of these inverters to work with an uninstalled car battery. I imagine you could run a laptop and router for several hours from a fully charged car battery. Then again, it would probably be easier and maybe cheaper to evacuate book a hotel room away from the hurricane area with internet access.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:05 PM

You can go here and specify your system and how much backup time you want. This will tell what unit meets your needs and the MSRP.

I don't think that a UPS is viable for long term power outages. I think you need to find other solutions, like moving some place that doesn't have freakin' hurricanes.