Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 07-23-2005, 07:06 PM

Default Superstition unpredictable madness

There have been some funny threads on what seats win at party and various other madness. Even flower selection and tinfoil helmets. With that in mind....

I play a guy in local live tournies who plays in the following manner. He looks for patterns in the flop. If he sees a pattern then he plays holds and bets those cards. Silly ?? Yes
Unpredicatble ?? Confoundingly so.

Actually I could study the flop also and then know what he is doing but that would be surrendering to superstition and the next thing you know I would have a voodoo doll with a deck of cards in it's hand sitting on my desk while I play online.

Although I think his playing style is absurd it has made him totally impossible to read. In some respect that has given him an advantage.

Anyone else play against folks like that ?
Any thoughts ?
I suppose the guy who believes seat #10 is lucky will play very crazy when in seat #10 and very conservatively in seat #8 thus making him rather unpredictable...

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Before you flame me,,,
I do not believe in luck, lucky seats, tinfoil radiation protectors, game theory or any of that stuff, I just play folks who happen to believe in that stuff. I wish they would stay at the craps tables.... Then again I wish they keep playing poker with me.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Superstition unpredictable madness

[ QUOTE ]

I suppose the guy who believes seat #10 is lucky will play very crazy when in seat #10 and very conservatively in seat #8 thus making him rather unpredictable...

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, he's not changing seats in the middle of the game, so he can still be pretty predictable over the course of any one game, which is pretty much all that matters.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:37 PM

This is not superstition. This is game theory. By having a random trigger he ends up having an edge over a set of equally skilled opponents, and even more edge on the ones that are less skilled than him.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually I could study the flop also and then know what he is doing but that would be surrendering to superstition and the next thing you know I would have a voodoo doll with a deck of cards in it's hand sitting on my desk while I play online.

Although I think his playing style is absurd it has made him totally impossible to read. In some respect that has given him an advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you are very wrong there. Every information you have on him would be very valuable to you. If you'd really somehow cracked his flop-pattern-betting-decision-algorithm, you would own his ass big time!