Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 07-23-2005, 04:27 PM

Default Structured Hand Analysis

In HOH II, Dan discusses making spreadheets to determine the EV of all-ins with specific cards late in the tournament. I believe that Aces and Kings discusses that Furgeson has the same type of charts. I thought it would be interesting to see how much people would pay for Dan's or Jesus' sheets. As for me, I am not sure how much I would pay to buy the sheets.
Old 07-23-2005, 05:22 PM

Default Re: Structured Hand Analysis

[ QUOTE ]
In HOH II, Dan discusses making spreadheets to determine the EV of all-ins with specific cards late in the tournament. I believe that Aces and Kings discusses that Furgeson has the same type of charts. I thought it would be interesting to see how much people would pay for Dan's or Jesus' sheets. As for me, I am not sure how much I would pay to buy the sheets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gocee.com has them, if what you are referring to is "how much equity does hand X have over Y number of random hands if I push all-in?" (e.g. heads-up, the weakest hand that still has an equity advantage is K2 offsuit, with a 0.2% equity edge over a random hand)

They aren't in Excel format, but when I was informed of their existence I made a quick spreadsheet to organize the data in various ways - sorted by hand, by equity, and by "equity edge" (hand X's equity - average hand's equity for Y opponents), which only took about 30-40 minutes, and most of that was just tedious copy-paste-fill down crap, so it shouldn't be too hard to make a useful spreadsheet if that's what you want to do.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:52 PM

Thanks for the site, the info is helpful, but Dan's or Chris' would be much better as I know that Dan's at least take into account not just random hands, but determines what hands they would call with, what percentage of time you would win with those hands and what percentage of time your opp would fold and then what your EV would be in all the different situations.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:07 PM

All you need to do this yourself is a very basic understanding of a spreadsheet application like Excel, and one of those free poker probability programs like Pokerstove or Poker calculator.

If you want to calculate $EV as well as chip EV, then you also need one of the free ICM calculators.

See the pinned FAQ thread under "1-table Tournaments" for more information.

Regarding costs, people pay $79 for SnG Power Tools, which makes it a lot easier from what I understand. I never tried it though.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:34 PM

Yes, I agree. I'm currently making a spreadsheet like that. Call/Push against 5%, 11%, 17%,... of all hands + pot odds + added survival value in SNGs + added value if you are better player and similar stuff. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
To the original poster, things like that are for getting your instincts right. So you should do it yourself.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Gocee.com has them, if what you are referring to is "how much equity does hand X have over Y number of random hands if I push all-in?" (e.g. heads-up, the weakest hand that still has an equity advantage is K2 offsuit, with a 0.2% equity edge over a random hand)

[/ QUOTE ]

SnG Analyzer anyone? http://sitngo-analyzer.com/
Old 07-24-2005, 06:59 AM

What do you mean by this "anyone"?
Old 07-25-2005, 03:49 AM

Read it as "Anyone interested in SnG Analyzer?".
Old 07-25-2005, 10:08 AM

I'd pay up to $20 for those sheets with some doc.

Poker and business both pay you heavily for investments in learning. These activities played at higher stakes also PUNISH you for believing you have "figured it all out".

The higher the stakes in the activity, the more you can freely spend on education. $20 is NOTHING for a glimpse of what Harrington or Ferguson see as important in poker research.

Let's say you play Limit. 5% of starting bankroll of 300BB is not too much to spend on education. So if you play say, 10-20, you could spend $300 a year (5% of $6000) and not worry at all about "spending too much on learning".