Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 06-06-2005, 07:29 AM

Default need a laptop advice

Hi all,
I am not a regular postr here but wondering if somebody can give me advice. My old laptop died recently, so I need a new one. I am thinking about Sony A790.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...uters_A_Series

I tried searching this forum and all the posts seem to only discuss Dells and Inspirons. So is there any reason to prefer Dell to Sony for the purpose of mainly playing poker? This model should allow 4-tabling wothout overlap, and it's not as heavy as Dell, from what I've heard.

Anybody got a Sony and/or can enlighten me on what I need to pay attention to, etc.? I am horrible with computers, must admit. Thinking about just walking into Best Buy and getting this exact model. Never done it before though (my first one was bought to me by my ex-boyfriend, and I was never interested in details.) Any info (what to get additionally, any discounts, things to pay attention to, etc.) is really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:36 AM

Default Re: need a laptop advice

Nice computer.

Anyways, people usually go with Dell because they can get that same setup for probably less than half the price during a good coupon week.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:22 AM

I just purchased my Dell Inspiron 8600 about 2 months ago. Nothing but smiles from me.

1.4 ghz Pentium M Processor, 512 mb Ram, 128 ATI mobility video card, 15 inch widescreen monitor.

978 bucks with coupon
Old 06-06-2005, 11:45 AM

The A970's a nice laptop -- I haven't used one myself, but I've seen them in action around the office every once in a while (I work for Sony). They're monstrous, of course, but all 17" laptops are. I like that the Vaios have a distinct "look" to them that doesn't scream "We want you to confuse us with a Powerbook!" like most of the other nice laptops these days (Dell, I'm looking at you).

Having said that, Vaios are so overpriced that even with the Sony discount it was still cheaper for me to pick up an Inspiron a few weeks back. The only reason I see Vaios around here is because they're assigned to people who travel a lot. I only know one person who has actually purchased a Vaio, and I've worked here for a few years now [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

If you get that laptop, you won't be disappointed by the performance. You might have buyer's remorse when you realize you could've bought two Inspiron 9300s for the same price, but who needs two of those beasts anyway?
Old 06-06-2005, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Vaios are so overpriced that even with the Sony discount it was still cheaper for me to pick up an Inspiron a few weeks back.

[/ QUOTE ]

does anybody know where I can find a Sony discount?

did not realize Sony was SO overpriced, so might get a Dell after all. But, my problem is I do travel a lot, so wanted the laptop not to be too heavy. And also I had a very nice run of cards last week, so thought could afford to treat myself to something nice. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]