Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 07:58 AM

Default How bad was this KK play here?

strange situation arose here where I'm sure I could have played much more correctly, however when I multitable late at night (uh morning) I tend to get lazy and I am certain it costs me money.

anyways: 1st hand of the SNG, 20+2, I'm in the small blind. Every single person limps in front of me, and I have KK. I move the bar for a heavy raise, then stop and figure an all-in here might catch a person who thinks I'm pushing with low pockets in an attempt to steal.
Also thinking that I don't want to deal with 4 people calling a 200 raise because of "pot odds" and have them draw out on me, I pushed and got no callers but was happy to pick up 9x15.

Thoughts on how correct/incorrect this is?
Old 03-29-2005, 08:03 AM

Default Re: How bad was this KK play here?

I like this play, you don't want to go multiway with 4 players with kings. You don't need to play this hand for set value. If the flop comes all rags and you have many players, someone could be playing low suited cards and make two pair and you'll be more upset.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:09 AM

I dont like this play, you can make alot more money by just raising the pot, you are gauranteed to get it down to atleast 3 way. And you are gaining more chips.

But your move wasnt so bad.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you are gauranteed to get it down to atleast 3 way.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you guarantee that 3 will call? That might be the most moronic statement I've ever heard. What if he raises to 200 or something like that? You think that 3 people will call a 13x BB raise?
Old 03-29-2005, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you are gauranteed to get it down to atleast 3 way.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you guarantee that 3 will call? That might be the most moronic statement I've ever heard. What if he raises to 200 or something like that? You think that 3 people will call a 13x BB raise?

[/ QUOTE ]I didnt say 3 people will call, I said you will get it down to atleast 3 way action, can you read?

Why would you want more than 3 people seeing a flop when you have kings
Old 03-29-2005, 11:35 AM

3 way pot = 3 people in the pot moron. Seems you need to learn alot more before you give advice to other players. In this situation, i believe it was a good push, with so many callers, high drawing cards or even low-mid pocket pair might call a raise with the right pot odds ending up with a bad beat at the end. I have made this mistake to many times with AA and KK costing me money.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:07 PM

Wow, guys, chill, no reason to get all over this guy for suggesting that putting in a big raise will narrow the field... All he is saying is that if you put in a raise to 200 and get a couple callers, that's a good thing! Do you really anticipate playing against 5 other people if you raise it to 200 preflop? I don't think it really matters which way you choose to play this hand. You can push, you might well get a caller. You can make a big raise, you also might get a caller this way. The only thing I wouldn't do is raise it to something like 75 here (my standard L1 raise with a big pair) because after the limping action we've seen, that may well induce a bevy of calls. Oh, and I'm not limping either, but I hope that was never really one of the options we were considering....
Old 03-29-2005, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

anyways: 1st hand of the SNG, 20+2, I'm in the small blind. Every single person limps in front of me, and I have KK. I move the bar for a heavy raise, then stop and figure an all-in here might catch a person who thinks I'm pushing with low pockets in an attempt to steal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mind this thinking. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. On the first hand it's hard to tell which response you'll get, which is an argument I think for playing this a little more moderately - raise to 150 or so.

[ QUOTE ]
Also thinking that I don't want to deal with 4 people calling a 200 raise because of "pot odds" and have them draw out on me, I pushed and got no callers but was happy to pick up 9x15.

[/ QUOTE ]

With that many limpers, I'd be thinking that it's highly likely that there are only one or two aces remaining in the deck, so your main fear in this kind of situation is a lot less relevant here, I feel. That said, if you had callers and an ace flopped in this situation, you'd be done. But I think that trying to get a couple of callers and then pushing on most flops (without aces, maybe without paired broadway) would probably be profitable.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

With that many limpers, I'd be thinking that it's highly likely that there are only one or two aces remaining in the deck, so your main fear in this kind of situation is a lot less relevant here, I feel.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this train of thought - the chance of an ace flopping is a lot less likely than normal here. That said, I dont mind the push in this situation, though I would raise to about 250 98% of the time.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:46 PM

I'm still new here, but pushing this early might have made you look stronger to the other players. I think pushing was a good idea, and leaves you open to try it again with something stronger later.