Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 02-20-2005, 07:56 AM

Default Re: ISOP Cancellation

Sorry to hear this got cancelled.

If you still want to organize something, take a look at the pro-Bush vs anti-Bush tournament in the works in the Politics forum. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I am doubtful that it will get off the ground either. I mean the liberals demanding we trade in our SUVs for compact cars if we lose is just going too far. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2005, 08:01 AM

Even though I saw this coming, I'm sorry to hear it was cancelled. Unfortunately the sites are too busy competing with themselves, and promoting their own agendas to let something like this go forward. I agree with a previous poster that the ISOP's time will come.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:15 AM

Sometimes even the best ideas do not prosper for one reason or another, despite one's valiant efforts to make them a reality.

It is the mark of a winner to know when it's time to fold.

Thanks for your efforts on behalf of the community.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:34 AM

I'm really bummed to hear about this cancelation as I was really looking forward to competeing... Hopefully you guys will get this idea up and running again sucsessfully sometime in the near future.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry we haven't been around the forums lately. There has been a ton of work to be done to try and hold the ISOP together that consumed all our available resources, and we haven't had anything concrete to report anyways.

It saddens me to announce that the ISOP is canceled effective immediately. We worked very hard and spent much capital on delivering a premier event to take advantage of this poker boom. Unfortunately, several sites who committed to the ISOP have pulled out at this 23rd hour and we are also having severe contract problems with current sponsors. I have been ill recently and I would like to thank my partner jek for working double duty to try and resolve these issues, but after a thorough review of the current "State of the Union" I am now completely caught up, and jek and I have jointly determined that this diluted series that is still far from resolved of its problems, is no longer a viable or attractive event to the player pool we had hoped to attract.

We apologize to all, especially Chuck and Mason who believed in us so deeply. Their assistance to get us to this point was a statement of faith in us that makes this all the more difficult. The ISOP forum has been dismantled and all contracts are now null and void.

We have poured our heart and souls and finances in this, but we are down to only 5 rooms, 5 poker rooms does not an ISOP make and therefore we are ending the concept effective immediately. We apologize to those that spent time in creating your marketing tools but this can't be salvaged. We deeply apologize to Chuck Weinstock especially and want to thank him for all of his technical assistance, hard work and guidance.

Deepest Regrets to all,

Granny Mae
jek187

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi All,

Just to clarify; This post is basically a reprint of an email that was sent yesterday to all of the sponsors and the guys here at 2+2 (Mason, Chuck etc.). I'm still away for a few days. If you have written me an email or PM, thanks very much. I will be answering those midweek.

I just wanted to put this post in context. For instance, the relevance of my mention of being sick was simply a communication to the sponsors that were getting that email that I was sorry I had been out of the email loop for a few days. It had no relevance to the demise of the series. The series tanked because 11 rooms became 6, became 5. Out of the five, there were contract issues Still remaining with 2. It took 6 months to get 11 independent rooms to agree to such a concept. However, once we accomplished that, next step was getting a contract past 11 teams of site operators and legal departments all overseas. This proved to be the demise of the ISOP due to our inability to get all these separate entities on the same page. The ISOP was a grandiose plan and we thought we were going to get it launched up until the last few days. We gave it our best and are proud of our efforts.

It simply could not be fixed but no particular room(s) will be named as requested earlier in this thread. So, while this post was not really meant as the official announcement, it should be noted that an official announcement would not have read much differently. I'll be happy to discuss it more in depth when I return if there is still interest in what went wrong.

The hidden, good news is that Mason will be providing you with a humor column this month because I missed my deadline. So there is a 99.99% chance it may actually be funny, which I know you are not accustomed to.. If it is, don't get too excited, I'll be back for next issue (though I am sure there is room for many funny columns). Thanks for the support.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:11 PM

Thanks for all your hard work on this guys.
You have vision for the future of online-poker and it's unfortunate that the sites don't uniformly share in that vision.

I suspect if the idea of the World Poker Tour had come up in 1995 Steve Lipscomb would hav been laughed out of the room and the Travel Channel (and all other channels) would have been doubled-over thinking about "televised poker?!?! Woo-hooo-hoo-hooohooo!!"

I would be willing to guess that there were a lot of people pulling him aside in 2002 when it was getting going telling him "are you nuts?? this is a really stupid idea. Sure you got one channel on board which is a real accomplishment but it's still pretty freaking dumb."

Same goes for the idea of ESPN showing 1 month's worth of WSOP tourneys...as well as putting together a drama (which is more of a comedy) and now the WSOP tour events.

No way this would have happened even 5 years ago, much less 10.

Online-poker has grown tremendously in just the past 2-3 years...so, for all we know, 2-3 years from now may be a more opportune time to attempt a bold venture such as the ISOP.
Just a couple of years ago it wasn't very easy to envision 70k players on party at a time...or $500k guaranteed tourneys on Stars...etc etc.

[ QUOTE ]
good news is that Mason will be providing you with a humor column this month

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the part of your post that truly frightens me.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:14 PM

I personally want to publicly thank Granny for her sincerity and months of hard work in trying to put this together. We like the idea of the ISOP and committed to it last fall.

Truepoker would always be willing to work with Granny and participating sites if she wants to try starting this again in the future..... but not at any risk to her health.

Thanks, Granny.

David Gzesh, CEO
Truepoker

(I disagree that the prospect of Mason writing a humor column for the 2+2 magazine is frightening, it will be hilareous ... albeit likely unintentionally so.)
Old 02-20-2005, 02:27 PM

Thanks to all of you for your efforts relating to the ISOP. Sorry things did not work out or maybe are just delayed.

Would it be feasible for one site to host the ISOP? The sites could bid on what they would pay to host. It would probably be small at first but could grow in future years. The bid money could be added to the prize pool. I would think a site like PokerStars would be interested in hosting this type of ISOP.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2005, 02:37 PM

pokerstars has the wcoop so i don't think they ever wanted to be in this. there are so many online tournaments now and all the huge land based monster events that this idea was probably too late. i still think it would have done good because it was located from 2+2 and the competition would have been great. maybe that would have hurt it though. the pool of players from here are probably much stronger than an average pool of players so the fish may have stayed away.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:46 PM

Thanks David and everyone for the nice comments. I need to clarify again please. Mason did not necessarily say he was writing it. He only said to be on time next month and there will another humor article this issue. I can't verify who the author is.

I will be back Wednesday because I have to start taking American Idol bets! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Take care