Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2005, 08:06 PM

Default Re: NBC Headsup Poker Championship

Look at the schedule on the website referred to in previous post.

Frenchie
Old 02-07-2005, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Where do you get this 1 hour 15 minute figure from? Are you inventing this number?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Instead of just criticizing it with little to no information, perhaps you should inform yourself before making a comment...."-freekobe

Yeah, That.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Where do you get this 1 hour 15 minute figure from? Are you inventing this number?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Instead of just criticizing it with little to no information, perhaps you should inform yourself before making a comment...."-freekobe

Yeah, That.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really funny cause he provided the rest of us with the link.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:24 PM

You guys can flame away if you want - the heads up match isn't going to end after 1:15. It's a GUESS. An ESTIMATE. Just like CBS and FOX schedule 3 hours for a football game each Sunday. They don't end the game at 3hrs. Same for these matches.

Now how funny is it Cleveland Guy? LOL or LMAO or ROTFLMAO?

Gimme a break. Most heads-up matches won't even go that long, but if they do, they can accommodate. NBC doesn't care how long the matches go - they'll edit as much as they want.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:15 PM

I'm dissapointed that the series will only have about 5 hours of air-time. Subtract commercials and all the side stories, that's only like two hours of actual poker being played. And it will definitely only be the hands considered most "entertaining" by NBC Execs. It's a good idea nonetheless. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 02-07-2005, 11:32 PM

The first HU championships from Voenna were only about 90 minutes and was the best televised poker I have ever seen.

"Let's Go!"
Old 02-07-2005, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys can flame away if you want - the heads up match isn't going to end after 1:15. It's a GUESS. An ESTIMATE. Just like CBS and FOX schedule 3 hours for a football game each Sunday. They don't end the game at 3hrs. Same for these matches.

Now how funny is it Cleveland Guy? LOL or LMAO or ROTFLMAO?

Gimme a break. Most heads-up matches won't even go that long, but if they do, they can accommodate. NBC doesn't care how long the matches go - they'll edit as much as they want.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you have proof for anything you say? or is this pure speculation?

I don't know which it is, but that schedule sure looks pretty tight for them to get way behind early in the first day.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:12 AM

I am 100 percent certain of this. Of course, you won't believe me no matter what I say or what my sources are, but perhaps you will believe me when I ask you this:

Do you think any pro will buyin for $20,000 and, when the tournament is 75 minutes old and he is down 21k to 19k in chips, he'll just allow NBC to call it a match? Game over? No. Even with the most generous blind structure, many, if not all of these matches, will be over well before 75 minutes. It's just the nature of heads-up. You don't need me to tell you that. And if they're not, they'll keep taping.

If you need further proof, Negreanu posted about testing out blind structures and his matches ended in 30-45 minutes.

Come on, you're smart enough to know that no poker tournament is going to end when a buzzer goes off. The pros would laugh it off and would never participate.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:12 AM

They won't have a concrete time the matches end. I was in the WHUPC in barcelona and some matches took 5 minutes, some took 3 hours, NBC guessed as to how long it will be, just like they do with football and basketball games.
~Justin
Old 02-08-2005, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, the buyin is 20K, but PokerStars is happy to pay it for me, as this show will allow the players to wear logos. The rest of the money will be added by the producers.

I suspect, given the nature of heads-up poker, and the fact that these matches probably won't be structured to potentially last for hours, it will actually make all of us look at least somewhat fishy. Oh well, I just hope it makes me some money and gets me some good airtime. I'd hate to go broke in 1 hand and get nothing else on TV. ;-)

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wondering, does PS generally cover your buy ins? Also, do they still cover Moneymaker's? (As in, will you get that treatment for a little bit after next year, assuming you don't repeat)