Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 04:20 PM

Default Call this All in ?

I think I botched this one but wanted some opinions. Im posting this from work so the detais are to the best of my recollection.

Heads up: Hero has T4500 Villian has T8500 blinds about 100/200. 10+1 stars

Villian in BB has been aggressive calling and raising 2-3BB preflop in the BB if I complete from SB. Sometimes folds to a reraise PF. Bets out on the flop 600 regardless.

I get 87s in the BB and check. Flop comes 9 7 4 rainbow. Villian bets out 600. Hero calls because villian will bet this on the flop regardless. Ive got villian on two high cards and missed. I figure I might have the best hand at this point but want to wait till the turn to raise if no scare card is out.

Turn is a ten. Villian pushes. Hero ...?

(At this point Im thinking villian might be trying to take the card down with high cards. My 77 may be good. If villain has a higher pair or two pair I have ten solid outs (open ended straight and two 77's, if villian has an over pair then I have even more since pairing my eight may also win giving me three more outs).

With ~10-13 outs do you call this draw?

Greg
Old 11-11-2005, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Call this All in ?

bump. Any thoughts?

Greg
Old 11-11-2005, 05:19 PM

With the read you have on villian, I'd call. Having a stack twice as big as yours can feed his aggression as well as giving him lots of FE. You gotta make a stand somewhere and I'm betting this is a better spot to do it than hoping you draw decent cards in the next few hands.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:16 PM

thats how I was feeling. I couldnt extract any value out of my big hands because I couldnt get him to call anything more than smallish bets when I was betting into him. so I was trying to trap him but couldnt get paid off because I coudnt draw any decent hands. I felt like if I put the hurt on him here that we would switch stacks and I would have a good chance at taking the whole thing down. Also since I was already in second place I didnt mind the consequences too much if I lost.

Greg
Old 11-11-2005, 06:29 PM

Sounds like you thought it through and used good judgement. Whether or not you got paid with this hand, you will over time. Congrats.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I couldnt extract any value out of my big hands because I couldnt get him to call anything more than smallish bets when I was betting into him.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this was the case, wouldn't leading out at this flop define your hand and possible take down the pot right there.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I couldnt extract any value out of my big hands because I couldnt get him to call anything more than smallish bets when I was betting into him.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this was the case, wouldn't leading out at this flop define your hand and possible take down the pot right there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes that might have been a possibility if I wasn't playing like a weak tightie.

Also a reraise on the flop might have done the job but my draw was not nearly as strong as it was on the turn.

Thats the thing, I dont think I was playing optimally up to the turn. If I was I think I could have taken the pot down before having to make a decision about a draw for all my chips. I dont like calling all ins, I like pushing and making villian call me down when I am ahead.

Can anyone run this through a program to figure out if the call was plus or minus ev?

Greg
Old 11-11-2005, 07:44 PM

sounds worthy of a check-raise on the flop, no?
Old 11-14-2005, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I botched this one but wanted some opinions. Im posting this from work so the detais are to the best of my recollection.

Heads up: Hero has T4500 Villian has T8500 blinds about 100/200. 10+1 stars

Villian in BB has been aggressive calling and raising 2-3BB preflop in the BB if I complete from SB. Sometimes folds to a reraise PF. Bets out on the flop 600 regardless.

I get 87s in the BB and check. Flop comes 9 7 4 rainbow. Villian bets out 600.

[/ QUOTE ]

up to here this sounds like a HU I was in yesterday as villain. I had JJ and the other guy reraised me and I put us all-in. He called and turned 87o. I flopped the J set and lost to a rivered straight.

In your case you should call.