Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 02:29 AM

Default Re: OT: what would really kill sitngo profitability

Lol. Again, these are cultural differences and not racial differences.

"- Blacks are on average better runners than whites"

What sort of running are we talking about?? Long distance whites are DEFINATELY competitive (arabs are caucasian).

Swimming?? Whites are simply more likely to swim, and therefore more likely to swim at a competitive level.

"Asians have higher average IQ than whites, who in turn have higher average IQ than blacks"

What's this based on? Asians seem smarter simply because they usually study harder.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
America rules and dominates a lot of athletics and our athletes come from the poorer parts of the population.

[/ QUOTE ]

Countries like Kenya and Ethiopia do stunningly well in athletics, despite not having enough money for a decent national sports program. They barely have enough food to give people proper nutrition. Majority-white countries (most of Europe, or my home of Australia) are all hopeless at running events.

[ QUOTE ]
Whites are better swimmers? Well, maybe not enough pools in the hood.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. It's a buoyancy thing. Blacks have a much higher average body mass index.

[ QUOTE ]
Outside of the problems with testing, I'm sure IQ is not solely determined by genetics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good God, no. I'm not really familiar with the numbers but I think that it is generally accepted that upbringing has a larger role than genetics.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying there aren't necessarily differences, just that they aren't really established.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point doesn't even really require you to agree with me that there are racial differences in IQ. It's more about the manner in which you disagree. A lot of people, I would say the majority, authoritatively reply "Ah yes, but you see it's all down to upbringing factors" and reject out of hand that any of the difference is racial despite knowing nothing about the subject. To countenance any possibility of racial differences has become so tainted by the crimes of racism that people will just refuse to consider it.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:36 AM

I absolutely loved HK and enjoyed Macau when I went this summer. I have every intention of going again next year, it simply blows ass here.

By any chance is anyone here I_amChinaman at the $33 tables?
Old 11-01-2005, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What's this based on?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a huge amount of literature out there on the subject. A good summary article on the subject of group differences is here.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:50 AM

"Countries like Kenya and Ethiopia do stunningly well in athletics, despite not having enough money for a decent national sports program. They barely have enough food to give people proper nutrition. Majority-white countries (most of Europe, or my home of Australia) are all hopeless at running events."

Lol. What makes this based on race??? Could just be culture or enviroment, eg morocco produces many of the best long distance runners and I'd bet most were caucasian.

Aussies fastest 100m runner clocked one of the fastest times in the world over the last 12 months or something and he's half white (and half aboriginal, aboriginals aren't black).

There are plenty of other factors that explain why one race seems better than others at something.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What's this based on?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a huge amount of literature out there on the subject. A good summary article on the subject of group differences is here.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
In all cases, the variation within groups is greater than the variation between groups.

[/ QUOTE ]

I claim this statement from the Charles Murray article makes the whole dicussion fairly pointless. It also makes me wonder about the statistical merit of a lot of studies.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

In all cases, the variation within groups is greater than the variation between groups.

[/ QUOTE ]

I claim this statement from the Charles Murray article makes the whole dicussion fairly pointless. It also makes me wonder about the statistical merit of a lot of studies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I confess I don't necessarily see the problem. Roughly speaking, I can put two fat bell curves next to each other, with the centers of the distribution separated by less than the standard deviation of the curves. That doesn't mean that the averages can't be different.

I think this thread illustrates ChrisV's original point - namely, that it's pretty much impossible to have any discussion about race without it getting pretty contentious quite quickly. I think it would be helpful if this weren't as strongly the case, but I don't see that happening any time soon.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:11 AM

I think this thread has been pretty civil, all things considered.

I guess my issue with what ChrisV is saying is that . . . it seems to be he is saying that, despite the fact that we cannot say for sure that the IQ test is sufficient to determine genetic differences in intelligence, that shouldn't preclude us from determining that there are genetic differences in intelligence. But I don't see what evidence has been provided, apart from the IQ test, to suggest that that is in fact the case.

edit: I wanted to edit this to comment that I didn't yet take the time to read that article ChrisV posted, which may have addressed this. I am trying to do homework and just keep shooting over here for study breaks.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I confess I don't necessarily see the problem. Roughly speaking, I can put two fat bell curves next to each other, with the centers of the distribution separated by less than the standard deviation of the curves. That doesn't mean that the averages can't be different.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't necessarily see a problem either, but I am wondering aloud if the surveys (I'm not going so far as to call them controlled experiments since I don't know anything about how they were done) that claim to discover various genetic IQ differences between the races while removing enviromental factors really have the necessary sample size to resolve two wide peaks in close proximity. I'm hoping someone who knows the background better might be able to say something to that effect.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:26 AM

I realize this takes this discussion further off topic. But assuming racial intelligence differences are negligable and general intelligence actually does exist. I wonder what percentage of the population has the potential(intelligence) to beat the game of poker at a high level. I dont know any substantial winners personally and I am not but I do believe some large percentage of the population might not be able to succeed in poker or be highly unlikely to do so.
Closed Thread