Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 02:45 PM

Default Re: OT: My mom wants me to be a poker pro

[ QUOTE ]
100 buyin downswing (like I had earlier this year)

[/ QUOTE ]

more than likely, yer game has some SEVERE holes that need plugging. get to postin hands. holla
Old 10-07-2005, 02:46 PM

I have no idea what my parents think. I never thought to ask them.

Lori
Old 10-07-2005, 02:47 PM

Be smart, stay in school, get a good degree, then get a good job.

That is +EV.

As an aside think about this....

- If you play 20/40
- avg. 35 hands / hr
- win @ 3.0 bb/100 (Sure you can beat lower games for more, but at 20/40 the players are usually decent, not the donks you get at Foxwoods 2/4 game)
- play 8 hours a day (with breaks in there this would take up about 10 hours a day)
- and play 200 days a year

you will make......$67,200 per year, take off retirement saving, health insurance, etc. and you will be at ~$55,000 per year.

Guess what you will make next year - about the same, and then the year after, etc.

This doesn't take into account the RAPIDLY advancing poker population. (I don't buy into all poker 'drying' up over time, but I think that there will be a lot better players coming up through the ranks in the next few years, and that will drive the fish out of the upper limits quite quickly.)

I think that with a good degree you will at least be break even in a few years, with some decent post graduate eduction (i.e. CPA, MBA, PMP, etc.) you will be well ahead of what you can REALISTICALLY expect to make playing poker.

Just some thoughts.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
100 buyin downswing (like I had earlier this year)

[/ QUOTE ]

more than likely, yer game has some SEVERE holes that need plugging. get to postin hands. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

that was 8 months ago... running g00t now...

i think i wasn't maximizing bubble play, but thats history.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:54 PM

Totally OT:

Is Foxwoods consistently beatable (e.g. for someone like me, not for raptor)? I've only been twice, each time on a Saturday. I had to wait like an hour and a half for a $100NL table and both times I was placed at a table where the $100 buyin was paltry compared to the $2k stacks sitting around me. The $5/30 minutes rake was also killing me. Despite $2 blinds, raises to $20 were getting multiple callers. Each time I busted pretty quickly - blinds/rake whittled me down and then I'd move all-in for $60 with a hand like QQ and get four callers w/ Ax, Kxs garbage.

Only reason I ask is 'cause my roommate wants to go this weekend. I've already blown $400 there (point of reference: I play the $11s) so am not overly eager given my past experiences.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:57 PM

I've never tried the $100nl game there, but yes, 5/10 kill and 10/20 can be beaten quite easily. Esp on the weekends, when the donks come out to play.

My friends have said the $100nl can be beaten if you start a new table. However, if you join mid-day, there are way too many people sitting there with ginormous stacks.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My friends have said the $100nl can be beaten if you start a new table. However, if you join mid-day, there are way too many people sitting there with ginormous stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

umm.. thats when its the MOST profitable. holla
Old 10-07-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea what my parents think. I never thought to ask them.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you shared with them the fact that you're a smoking hot lesbian? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Or are you waiting on breakin' that news as well?

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Yugoslav
Old 10-07-2005, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what job out of college would give you $64 an hour?

[/ QUOTE ]

The same job that can give you minus hundreds+ of dollars an hour or 0 profit over months.

My mom hates to see me player poker so I play when she's not at home. She'd rather see me spend my time studying or not see me at all and know I'm outside with friends or something.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:14 PM

I don't disagree. The play is horrendous on Saturday nights. I think I was approaching the game incorrectly.

This was the strategy I was trying to use due to the big stacks and pot-committing raises you needed PF: play tight, wait for a huge hand, push hard preflop (all-in if I'm even approaching $50). But the 5% rake/half hour + the slowness of B&M meant by the time I got a "strong" hand I only had like $60.

Suggestions?