Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2004, 01:58 PM

Default Close your eyes and bet (online)

Just wondering if anyone else does this. You come to a point in the hand where you know you are "supposed" to bet but it's not an easy bet for you to make. You press the bet button and close your eyes, or tab off the window, so that you don't watch the result unfold. Did they fold to your bluff? Was your supposed "value bet" too thin?

Then after a few seconds, you go back and view what the end result was via dealer text or hand history.

I know I'm a weenie, just wondering if others are weenies too. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I do know one other player who has this habit -- and she is also female. We both play more aggressively online than live and any aggression that we display live is primarily due to it being learned. Online it's much easier to click that button, but we still squirm at watching the result.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Close your eyes and bet (online)

Online it's much easier to click that button, but we still squirm at watching the result.

For some reason I found this pretty funny [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Since I play exclusively in a b and m cardroom I cannot answer. I would tend to agree that hitting a button seems easier then making a real bet.

Enjoy Vegas. Do you have plans to meet up with noted poker authority Ed Miller? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2004, 03:19 PM

I used to. Then I noticed that my bluffs were getting better results if I stared at the screen and willed them to fold. I'm very intimidating online. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2004, 04:32 PM

Hey sfer:

[ QUOTE ]
Then I noticed that my bluffs were getting better results if I stared at the screen and willed them to fold

[/ QUOTE ]

I will try this.

Here is a technique that works well for me when I am on a draw and in a big pot. I will cover the board with my hand before the river is dealt and I will not peek until the action is on my. I would guess this has increased my hit rate 20-30%.

--Rico
Old 05-13-2004, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I will cover the board with my hand before the river is dealt and I will not peek until the action is on my

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet tip. Just tried it and hit the nut flush on the river for a 17BB pot. Thanks!
Old 05-13-2004, 07:49 PM

That's "Ed Miller, N.P.A"

and us microlimiters still owe him a beer from that 'crush the microlimits' post [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Pete
Old 05-13-2004, 10:48 PM

I'm so glad I started this thread. Thanks to everyone for all their online secrets. Perhaps now I can defeat those who play with the pattern maps, as my map is outdated and I am having problems downloading the updated version.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:04 PM

I'm there.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:11 AM

Between staring at the screen and covering the screen we will so crush the games that we won't need any written advice from Ed Miller, authoritative or not.
Old 05-14-2004, 03:29 AM

Between staring at the screen and covering the screen we will so crush the games that we won't need any written advice from Ed Miller, authoritative or not.

In that case, this whole covering the screen, looking at the screen, willing the screen nonsense is terribly dangerous and you should never ever use any of these techniques.

In other news, my book should be availble in just a couple of months!