Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Re: worst brain freeze ever???

[ QUOTE ]
Are you saying you would not 'clam up' at that point? I was not playing for 9th but just a spot at the last table. Once there, I would be playing for 1st.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why shoot yourself in the foot before running a race? I don't get it.... Also, how can you be "out-of-position" at a 5-handed table?

Raise this everytime, and PUSH it every time. 10BB rule IS in effect.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:44 PM

uhhh.... what?

i think this is an obvious push. folding here would be a pretty bad play. you have AJ 5-handed, presumably utg. you really think that's not enough hand to push with with under 10x? if there are antes, then it becomes a super easy push.

[ QUOTE ]
18-10 (like $164). From 9 up the payout was much better. 9th got like $250, 1st over $3000

[/ QUOTE ]

from this point, it doesn't matter what 18-11 got. there is a jump from 10 to 9, and i'm sure there's at least as large a jump from 9 to 8 etc. there's no real bubble here, unless hero has psychological reasons for valuing a final table highly.

can some more people please respond to this thread?
Old 06-15-2005, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why shoot yourself in the foot before running a race?

[/ QUOTE ]

great way to put it. i'm glad i'm not crazy.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:47 PM

Thanks - the last two replies will make me sleep better tonight.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:50 PM

Your push was correct. Frustrating that you ran into the 3rd worst hand possible, but correct. The only exception I would make is if the other table had 2 super short players or you were running 3rd in chips.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:00 PM

Just to clarify things - yes, there were antes ($150). I was in 6th place overall. Shortest stacks were about 30,000 and 40,000. I really did not expect so much support from you guys. After playing for 4+ hours I just thought I had a lapse in judgement but apparently some disagree. Thanks! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-15-2005, 05:55 PM

Hey,

Hey I was in this tourney, i had a brain freeze and took 4th.

In the situation we were in, definily push and hope people fold. Play for first not for 9th. 9th had like 150 dollars, 1st had 3.7k.

Although you could have waited for a short stack to bust out before you, what is another 30 bucks when you can play for first. AJ is too good for you to be passing this up with your stack and the way the blinds are.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that's a horrible play. Maybe worth a 3xBB raise ... maybe.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have <10BB already, now you're going to raise 3x and fold to a big-stack push (which they should do with a broad range of hands considering the situation)? Don't forget you're eating the blinds again in a couple of hands.

I think this is surely a push or fold hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me restate more clearly, since my sarcasm is not too loud today -- FOLD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, my sarcasm meter was no where near that one. Better check the batteries...
Old 06-15-2005, 07:37 PM

Just thought I'd add a voice of agreement. Instapush.. no other play makes sense. (Unless, as some said earlier, there were other players that were terribly short stacked, which there weren't)
Old 06-15-2005, 08:46 PM

I don't know that this push is "super easy" according to the rough chip equity calculation I just did. Basically this play is chipEV neutral if you steal the blinds 70% of the time, and the 30% you are called is against TT-AA, AQ/AK. I simplified the calculation for a double up or bust out scenario, and assumed only two outcomes - all fold or just one call. For this play to be +cashEV, you probably need to steal 80-85% of the time, which seems likely with those calling standards (remember someone has to call 10x here).

Assuming these calculations aren't way off, they support my thinking that pushing is marginally good but not really good. I'm sure someone can argue for looser calling standards, and in that case the steal % goes down too.