Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 12:29 AM

Default Re: Don\'t worry about........

[ QUOTE ]
...."putting it intelligently".....just remember where queeers "are putting it" and you'll drop this notion that [censored] marriage is so swell

[/ QUOTE ]

Is sex the problem? Why does what two consenting adults do in their own homes bother you? You'd be OK with gay marriage, then, as long as it was abstinent?
Old 06-23-2005, 12:29 AM

Default Re: Gay Marriage

[ QUOTE ]
One entry found for bigot.
Main Entry: big·ot
Pronunciation: 'bi-g&t
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French, hypocrite, bigot
: a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices
- big·ot·ed /-g&-t&d/ adjective
- big·ot·ed·ly adverb

[/ QUOTE ]

Does that mean yes?
Old 06-23-2005, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One entry found for bigot.
Main Entry: big·ot
Pronunciation: 'bi-g&t
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French, hypocrite, bigot
: a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices
- big·ot·ed /-g&-t&d/ adjective
- big·ot·ed·ly adverb

[/ QUOTE ]

Does that mean yes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but I think the interesting thing is that, by this definition, being a bigot doesn't seem so bad. Lots of people are obstinate about their opinions. This is much, much worse than simply being stubborn.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, but I think the interesting thing is that, by this definition, being a bigot doesn't seem so bad. Lots of people are obstinate about their opinions. This is much, much worse than simply being stubborn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since Hillary Clinton, John Kerry, and John Edwards all oppose gay marriage, then they are bigots, since we agreed that opposing gay marriage makes one a bigot. Should those bigots be elected to any office?
Old 06-23-2005, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Since Hillary Clinton, John Kerry, and John Edwards all oppose gay marriage, then they are bigots, since we agreed that opposing gay marriage makes one a bigot. Should those bigots be elected to any office?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't remember the last time I voted for someone whom I didn't consider to be the lesser of two evils. If you're trying to get me to say I don't like a single elected politician, then congratulations. I still haven't heard a good reason to oppose gay marriage.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Someone please tell me why this is even an issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because miserable failures like GWB cannot run on their actual records. Therefore, they're left to invent Evil Conspiracies to run against instead. Fortunately for them, their idiot followers can be counted on to lap it up -- just as long as it's couched in terms of their own hatreds and prejudices.

q/q
Old 06-23-2005, 12:56 AM

No, I am just trying to make sure you are consistent. I just wanted to see if you only thought Republicans who oppose gay marriage were bigots.

I think someone can oppose gay marriage without being a bigot. I think the argument you are making is the same as when people assume you are a racist if you oppose affirmative action. It is a way of shutting down debate. Isn't it possible for someone to disagree on certain issues without being a bigot?
Old 06-23-2005, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If a person opposes gay marriage, does that make them bigoted by definition?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... I don't suppose so. (and don't get me wrong, we're ALL bigoted. some of us to more of a degree then others.)

Most of the people who I see debate it seem either bigotted or irrational.

Those who base it on religion are bigotted. And I don't mean this to sound harsh; most religions teach some form of bigotry. The nature of religion does as much; ie, they belief they have the monopoly on what is right/moral and everyone else is wrong regardless of the quality of the arguments.

(and for the record- I can disagree with a person who is religious but respect their dedication to their faith. My problem comes when they want to legislate based on their religion.)

Most of the arguments I see though (like in this thread) I tend to think ARE based in bigotry/homophobia since they use false and irrational premises to justify their prejudices.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:04 AM

A person who is bigotted based on sound reason is not the equivalent of someone who is bigotted because of their prejudice.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well... I don't suppose so. (and don't get me wrong, we're ALL bigoted. some of us to more of a degree then others.)

Most of the people who I see debate it seem either bigotted or irrational.

Those who base it on religion are bigotted. And I don't mean this to sound harsh; most religions teach some form of bigotry. The nature of religion does as much; ie, they belief they have the monopoly on what is right/moral and everyone else is wrong regardless of the quality of the arguments.

(and for the record- I can disagree with a person who is religious but respect their dedication to their faith. My problem comes when they want to legislate based on their religion.)

Most of the arguments I see though (like in this thread) I tend to think ARE based in bigotry/homophobia since they use false and irrational premises to justify their prejudices.

[/ QUOTE ]

If religious people condemn homosexuality they are bigots. If religous people condemn adultery, are they bigoted against adulterers?

As for the question of people who legislate base on their religion. Are you consistent (always have to find out). If a Congressman opposes the death penalty based on their religious belief (and some do), are you upset if they vote based on that? If a Congressman votes for anti-poverty programs because he believes Jesus would have wanted to take care of the poor, is that wrong? Many sects of Christianity preach non-violence and don't believe in war. If a member of that sect voted against the Iraq war based on his/her religious beliefs, were they wrong to do so?

It seems a bit much to tell someone they have to divorce their religious/moral views from their public policy views.