Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 07:23 PM

Default TPTK on a non-dangerous board

PP $55. No reads, first level or so. Villain in this hand is at one of my other tables. So my assumption is he's decent.

NL Texas Hold'em $50 Buy-in + $5 Entry Fee Level:1 Blinds(10/15) - Thursday, August 04, 19:11:08 EDT 2005
Table Table 12196 (Real Money)
Seat 5 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 1: hairyy ( $1000 )
Seat 2: Pimpmich ( $880 )
Seat 3: FLOGAR ( $600 )
Seat 4: Hero ( $975 )
Seat 5: sushi_ ( $1415 )
Seat 6: c1black ( $1620 )
Seat 7: jeffm81 ( $1385 )
Seat 8: i1k2mvitmvit ( $970 )
Seat 9: CRIXXX ( $1155 )
Level:1
Blinds(10/15)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ Kc Ad ]
>You have options at Table 18978 Table!.
i1k2mvitmvit raises [45].
CRIXXX folds.
hairyy folds.
Pimpmich folds.
FLOGAR folds.
Hero calls [45].
sushi_ folds.
c1black folds.
jeffm81 calls [30].
** Dealing Flop ** [ Tc, Ks, 3h ]
jeffm81 checks.
>You have options at Table 18971 Table!.
i1k2mvitmvit bets [125].
Hero calls [125].
jeffm81 folds.
** Dealing Turn ** [ 8h ]
i1k2mvitmvit checks.
Hero bets [150].
i1k2mvitmvit raises [450].
Hero...
Old 08-04-2005, 08:14 PM

Default Re: TPTK on a non-dangerous board

I wouldn't be too sure, I saw an utter donk at two of my tables at the same time (no, it wasn't ebaundy, lol). But I think you're probably beat here.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:10 AM

I don't think I've ever folded TPTK with AK in a situation like this on PP. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2005, 02:59 AM

FWIW, I would have SIGNIFICANTLY raised the flop. His pot sized bet is all the interest I need to see from him. Anything between t400 and pushing would do. I'm basically ending it right here.

If you're convinced you're ahead at the flop, I see no reason to give the turn card to a PF raiser that suddenly might feel compelled to make a move on the turn with your cold-call on the flop.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:35 AM

Nice post kyro.

I like the flop call. There's no reason to change the dynamic of the hand here. If you push/raise you make it impossible for Villain to make a mistake, so just call.

On the turn Villain checks, so he's most likely drawing to 2 outs or whatever. Just check behind. Betting accomplishes nothing really, he'll fold everything you beat and call/raise when you're smashed. You only have TPTK so keep the pot small. But really, the most important reason to check behind is to give your opponent a chance to bluff into you on the river.

So you bet and get check raised. He either has a monster (TT, etc) or nothing (this includes an underpair in this case). The latter line is one that all you constant c-bettors will have to learn as you move up in stakes. When you are a known c-bettor, many opponents will look you up on the flop by bluff calling with position. As soon as you check the turn they take the pot. It's a decent line and considerably cheaper than raising the flop. The counter move to the bluff call is a turn C/R, just as villain did here. Now, I'm not saying you're definitely ahead, as it would be a sophisticated move on Villain's part, that's just something to think about.

Anyway, you're C/R'd. I'm not laying this down. Most opponents with a set will just keep betting into you to get max value. You showed no aggression on the flop, he has no reason to think you'll bet the turn. So you should be ahead a good percentage of the time here. Should you raise? HELL NO. If you raise he'll just dump his bluff and call with his monsters. Again, you make it impossible for him to make a mistake. Just flat call. F*ck, run your timer down too. He'll push all his hands on the river and you call immediately. You're going to lose to a monster anyway you slice it so you want to forget about the possibility he may have that and focus on maxing your value against bluffs/underpairs. Calling the turn and the river accomplishes that goal.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:43 AM

I usually don't mind flat calling with AK in the early leve,s but I think with the relatively small raise, it might be better to bump it up to ~100 to make sure you fold the blinds and see how much villian likes his hand (you'll see a fold fairly often here).

I don't like the flop call at all - I would raise to ~350 with the intention of getting all my chips in the middle then or on the turn. Since you just called the bet on the flop, I might be inclined to open push the turn. Not sure if that's the best move there though.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:52 AM

As I continue to study this game and try to improve, this is one of the hardest skills for me to develop: how much credit do I give to opposing players? If he is a sophisticated player, he could very well be playing you with a monster. Or, he could just be a good player that wasn't sure what to do with his QQ. How to decide? Maybe this is just a hand you're either destined to win big or go home with, and just chalk it up to poker. I don't know.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:20 PM

I was going to say that I think this is a hand I would tend to look up if only for informational purposes. Then I saw he raised UTG.

Unless he is Gigabet lite or some other species of multitabling LAG with reads on everyone he plays, I think his range right now is AK, AA-KK, 88, maybe shaded a bit towards AK. Draw your own conclusions.

Also, I check the turn.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:47 PM

I don't like your call on the flop. You're slow playing and your hand is not strong enough to slow play. IMO, raise the flop and if he calls, move into check call mode. He probably has a pocket pair, and the board did not help him... but you don't want to call and have him hit his set (of 8's perhaps???)
Old 08-05-2005, 12:48 PM

what is a c-bettor? a continuation bettor?