Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2005, 11:39 AM

Default UB SnG play

I'm a long time observer who would first like to thank the posters on this forum for all the free advice I have been leaching over the past months.

I play on UB and have a modest bankroll. Started with $300, down to $100 on ring games (interestingly, I do very well at B&M limit games) with my only real success on MTT's here and there or I would have been down to $0. Over 3 months of online play and study I figured out that I was a better tournement player than cash game player, at least for now. I do enjoy MTT's but the odds seemed long and ROI was very poor at the lower buy ins.

Thanks to 2+2 I discovered what an SnG was and then how to play more or less correctly, HOH has helped a lot in my understanding as well. Within a few days my bankroll was back up to $200 playing 5+.50 and any thoughts I had about redeposit were fading for the time being.

I play in about 8-10 Sng's per week mostly at 5+.50 with the odd 10+1 (4 total to date this month). I try to play once a day during the week in the evening with some success and then 2 or 3 on Sat or Sun in the afternoon.

Here is the deal. I still have my BR hovering at $200 mainly due to finishing OOTM 7 times this past weekend. This week (starting monday) I have played one each night finishing 1st, 2d and 3d all at $5 level and all in the evening (EST) during the week which has allowed me to recover from this weekends beating. My ROI % for FEB (only 30 enteries) has been 42% - interestingly mostly on weekday evenings. Not a huge sample or even valid but interesting to me. Thoughts?

I find the competition - on average - to be good - fairly tight with the 2-3 madmen playing every hand and usually going out early. I enjoy playing on UB as I think it is making me a better, more thoughtful player and I learn every time I play.

I am not a huge gambler obviously and am not looking to become one. I would like to become a more consistant player at a moderately higher level so I could begin to have some extra cash coming back and endulge in a few more MTT's.

I guess I am asking for feed back on:

1. Playing on UB and the time of day.
2. Moving up in buy-in based on BR.

Thanks for any help and sorry if this is too simple/stupid/confusing.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:50 AM

Default Re: UB SnG play

For a casual player looking to win a few bux, learn some poker and have some actual games, instead of party 'crapshoots', UB is a great site.

Lori
Old 02-23-2005, 04:42 PM

So I assume I am on the right track?
Old 03-03-2005, 02:19 AM

UB is a great site, only place I play. Recently I shifted from mostly playing limit ring games to Sit and Gos. It sounds like you're headed in a good direction so far. I usually play late at night (midnight-2 or 3am) and find the competition not too strong at all. My best strategy thus far has been to play super tight in the first 2 or 3 rounds to let the crazy players get out of the way, then loosen up to my regular game. So far its working great (over 100% ROI in last 15 SNGs, playing 10+1s and 20+2s). I try to play with about 15 buyins in the bankroll, but if I know I playing my "A" game, or have just won an SNG, I'll move up for one SNG. That way I get experience with higher games without too much discomfort. Hope that helps.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:00 PM

Very helpful and thanks very much.

Interesting that you are in Gainesville....
Old 03-03-2005, 12:17 PM

Ultimate Bet was good site, I dont play there anymore because I cant clear there bonuses playing STT's. Gainesville Rock City! Ever heard of Less Than Jake? Best band in the world IMO.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:29 AM

Good point on clearing the bonuses. It really seems to be getting tight on UB the last couple of days...more so than usual.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Playing on UB and the time of day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never taken note of how my games go vs. time of day, but I do wanna say that UB has the best blind structure of all the online sit 'n go's I've ever played. You don't have to take as many chances before the blinds kill you. I think this makes the games require less luck and more skill.

Everyone seems to just love Party and Stars, but UB is where it's at. They need to set up the steps and some cheap WSOP/WPT sattelite sng's like everyone else.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:31 PM

Played UB from in Nov and Dec, solely small level S&G's.

As far as Blind Struture, I preferred Pokerstars, since they start you with more chips. However, I think that I liked the fact that you could change backgrounds a little more than a rationale person should. FYI, I seemed to do best playing underwater [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

However, the bonuses at Party are too tasty for me to pass up. I just stay away from the $5 and $10 single table S&Gs, as I don't even consider that poker.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As far as Blind Struture, I preferred Pokerstars, since they start you with more chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

PokerStars is just soooo sloooow.... my gawd.... probably the worst software interface in online poker (except TruePoker and Bodog, but nobody plays there anyway).