Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 06:06 AM

Default another boring, \"i kick a*s at low limits, should i move up\" post

Actually, it's not really a 'should i move up' post. I am going to move up- just want some tips on what to expect.

Been beating 4 tables of 2/4 for 2000 bb/100 (jk), and now have the roll for 5/10 or 10/20 if i so desired. Just want a brief summary (from winning players only) on what differences I can expect at 3/6, 5/10 and (not yet, but hopefully fairly soon) 10/20.

1) I suspect 3/6 should not be substantially different from 2/4- a little tighter, but still (hopefully) a good # of fish. What should I expect at 3/6 and how should I adjust?

2) How about 5/10 full? Differences, necessary adjustments?

3) I dont want to try 10/20 until I am sure I can beat 5/10 (dont want to risk $6k in the event im not good enough to beat this game), but would like a precursor on what to expect since i plan to be there soon. Is this game substantially tougher than the relatively easy 2/4 game? Ive observed a little bit and was not overly impressed. Tons of cold callers, a fish or two at every table, etc. This was only a brief, cursory observation period, though- im sure in reality the game is much tougher. Could some of you 10/20 or 15/30 pros compare and contrast the most obvious differences between my 2/4 game and the standard, run of the mill party 10/20? Any thoughts and advice on adjustments, etc will be greatly appreciated. Im sure I shorthanded play becomes a lot more important, for one. Anyway, I dont want to move up to this level unless im fairly sure i can beat it. but i wont know for sure if i can beat it till i try! Catch 22. Perhaps I will eventually try it, and move down if I lose 3k. that's why blackjack so far has a more special place in my heart than poker. in bj, you KNOW whether or not you can beat a game. not so in poker w/o actually taking the shot. at least that's my impression so far.

anyway, all thoughts appreciated, especially those of winning players who have already successfully made the move up from the trenches to the golden million dollar goldmines of 30/60 and above (jk- wish that were true).

**some seem to believe that shorthanded 3/6 and 5/10 is generally a better game than their full equivalents. Would most of you guys agree w/ that? How about at 10/20? Personally, the majority of my study has been geared toward beating full games (i primarily base my play around THFAP and SSHE). I have played a lot of low limit 1/2 short, but am definitely more confident in my full abilities. Would appreciate comments on party short v/ party full at these equivalent levels.

**Finally, a lot of you guys talk about 8 tabling party. How do you guys do this? 2 monitors right? One with party and one with a skin? Is this how it works? Also, my monitor doesnt allow 4 tables at a time. Would most of you agree that it is far better to invest in a monitor that will support this? I dont really mind jumping from table to table, but i guess eventually ill make the switch. from what ive read, though, it seems two of these superpower monitors can be fairly expensive. anyway, i think my ultimate plan is to 8 table the highest limit I can substantially beat for 1.5-2 bb/100. It seems obvious if you can beat 15/30 for 2bb, but 30/60 for only one, it would defiinitely be better (financially speaking) to stay at the 15/30 for variance reasons.

anyway, all thoughts welcome, but well informed thoughts from successful multitablers who have already moved up welcome more than the thoughts of others. wow, that was a shi*ty sentence!!

Old 08-17-2005, 07:08 AM

Default Re: another boring, \"i kick a*s at low limits, should i move up\" post

in my experience 3/6 and 5/10 are baiscally the same - only difference I have seen is that 5/10 players have a few more tricks up their sleeves that are done at the correct time (as opposed to the tricky plays in 2/4 that are done at random bad times).

2/4 is the softest games at party, softer then 1/2. 3/6 games are tighter by about 5%, More aggressive PFR by 1% and smaller BB pots.

The average BB/100 in 1/2 for the average player is -3.53, in 2/4 its -3.04 and in 3/6 -2.71, so you see it's harder.

BUT - still lots of fish, just more good players.

Grinderswarehouse - NOT just another BLOG
Old 08-17-2005, 02:21 PM

learn shorthanded if you ever want to be a great limit player.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:35 PM

3/6 is ALOT more aggressive than 2/4 in my experience
Old 08-17-2005, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems obvious if you can beat 15/30 for 2bb, but 30/60 for only one, it would defiinitely be better (financially speaking) to stay at the 15/30 for variance reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong, it would be better to play 30/60 because you would develop into a stronger poker player.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3/6 is ALOT more aggressive than 2/4 in my experience

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-17-2005, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shorthanded poker has made me 100x better at poker. Literally, not an exaggeration.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The average BB/100 in 1/2 for the average player is -3.53, in 2/4 its -3.04 and in 3/6 -2.71, so you see it's harder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't this just reflect the difference in rake between levels?
Old 08-17-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shorthanded poker has made me 100x better at poker. Literally, not an exaggeration.

[/ QUOTE ]

only about 68x better for me, but I only started a month or so ago
Old 08-17-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

doesn't this just mean a softer rake, and nothing more?