Seat 3: hoban777 ($448.90 in chips)
Seat 4: _BBP_ ($200.05 in chips)
Seat 5: horshoe ($310.30 in chips)
Seat 6: proffen ($418.95 in chips)
Seat 9: monkey4256 ($60.50 in chips)
oskar: posts small blind $2
hoban777: posts big blind $4
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to _BBP_ [A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
_BBP_: raises $4 to $8
horshoe: calls $8
proffen: raises $12 to $20
monkey4256: folds
oskar: folds
hoban777: folds
_BBP_: calls $12
horshoe: calls $12
*** FLOP *** [5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
_BBP_: checks
horshoe: checks
proffen: bets $63
_BBP_: raises $117.05 to $180.05 and is all-in
horshoe: folds
proffen: calls $117.05
*** TURN *** [5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] [9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]
*** RIVER *** [5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] [9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] [J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
_BBP_: shows [As Jd Ad 4s] (a pair of Aces)
proffen: shows [Qc Ks Ts Jh] (a straight, Nine to King)
proffen collected $423.10 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $426.10 | Rake $3
Board [5h 8c Qs 9d Jc]
Seat 2: oskar (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 3: hoban777 (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 4: _BBP_ showed [As Jd Ad 4s] and lost with a pair of Aces
Seat 5: horshoe folded on the Flop
Seat 6: proffen showed [Qc Ks Ts Jh] and won ($423.10) with a straight,

Nine to
King
Seat 9: monkey4256 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)

The guy was a very loose player and I honestly felt that at worst we had the same hand...It turned out i was right and had the best had atm....so I got my money in with the best hand after the flop....but it wasn't a great hand...and had very little to draw to to improve....I thought the check raise was representing top set...and couldn't imagine what he would call with....he thought about it for a long time (so I knew he didn't have QQ) then called.....

my question is How was my play? I don't really like to raise with Aces usually but I thought i might be able to chase a player or two out with a single bet raise....

thanks in advance
Old 03-18-2005, 06:18 PM

Default Re: did I over play my hand

He may have put you on aces. That's the first thought I have when someone min-raises UTG. His less-than-pot reraise indicates that's what he was thinking. He wants to find out if that's what you've got so he can play his excellent preflop hand appropriately postflop, but not allow you to raise so much that he's tied to the hand preflop.

After the flop he has top pair and a gutshot and makes a stab at the pot. When you put him all in, he has to decide what you have... if it's any two pair he has twelve-ish outs. If it's aces he has fourteen outs. If it's something like 5678 he has... twelve outs. So he's basically deciding whether or not you have a set. He decides you don't and makes a correct call.

I think you made a mistake preflop by not repotting when given the opportunity. You're not running AAxx here, you're double suited and you have a couple of potential straight cards. Sure, you're telling him what you have, but you almost did that with the min-raise anyway. The result would have been the same... he'd call, he'd pick up his fourteen outs, and he'd call you down postflop, but if he doesn't hit the flop that hard he'd have to get away from it.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:23 PM

I don't like the way you played the hand, but I have seen a number of players who I consider good to play hands like this.

Generally, I like to play big pairs in PLO in one of two ways.
1) The best hand, which I'm gonna jam down your throat.
2) Set value.

This third method of playing your hand post-flop while still having one pair is probably the worst way you can do it.

You have not narrowed the field and you've gotten a very dangerous board. You could have 2 outs. Why get involved? Sure you feel like a pussy for mucking it AA, but thats holdem mentality. Even with the 1 pair hand he had, he is probably right around even money with you. Plus he could easily be running you into the nuts, if I were horshoe, I would be checking QQ here to the pf raiser 90% of the time.

You raised preflop with AAds and got reraised, was this not the result you were hoping for?
Old 03-18-2005, 08:17 PM

you are short-stacked and out of position. what is the logic in the pre-flop play?
Old 03-18-2005, 08:20 PM

Agree with Aces.

Also proffen is far from a LAP.

gl

dd