Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 09-02-2004, 01:30 AM

Default Suited connectors in raised pots

I have tried playing suited connectors for preflop raises in multiway pots the last week, without a whole lot of success. I have tried being aggressive when I flop draws, as well as playing fairly passively. Nothing seems to work well. Has any one else had success playing suited connectors for raises in big buyin no limit? If so, how?

-Evan
Old 09-02-2004, 01:52 AM

Default Re: Suited connectors in raised pots

I've found them extremely successful against players that fall in love with AA/KK/AK and similar hands that make TPTK. I think I've lost money in trying to play them for more than they are worth or playing them too hard. They are absolute garbage unless you flop hard - as in a draw that is to the nuts. Numerous times I've lost a fair amount of money on a flush that is 9 high etc...or draws to the ignorant end of straights. I don't think the type of way that you play them is as important as the type of plyaer you play them against. There are a few players in a regular home game who marry their big hands, this is where you can make money but the conditions have to be ideal. Obviously the more players in a raised pot the better. I've also realized that I had been playing them without regard to my position relative to the raiser. I think it's really important to have position where the entire field must face the raisers bet before you act, if it's the other way around, I've often found myself making -EV plays...
Old 09-02-2004, 04:12 AM

Evan-

From my (limited) experience, mid-level suited connectors tend to be most (only?) profitable in hands where you can be assured that your opponent is on a big hand - AA, KK, QQ, AKs - and is more than likely the kind of player who falls in love with such a hand even when they don't improve on the flop, or makes something like TPTK. From my experience, the higher the levels you step, the less common this type of player is . . . but you can always find a fish who will play like this. Furthermore, I think it is important to have position in such hands... it can be very awkward trying to play a big draw against a calling station when you act first.

I dont like to play connectors against weak/tight players who will lay down, or a thinking player who can assess the situation. I only find myself able to play them profitably against fish who get married to their hand pre-flop, and carry on from there, and are willing to go hard - often to the felt -- with an overpair or TPTK. But i'm no expert.

I try to see a flop with one of these players under the right circumstances, and if you can manage to flop big and break one of these players with a large stack, it can often pay off the many times you'll have to make the call in order to see the right flop.

Just my .02, eager to hear other's opinions.

-Todd
Old 09-02-2004, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously the more players in a raised pot the better.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the money is deep and the players are decent then I don't agree.

If you get multiple calls to a PF raise then the callers are probably looking to flop big or ditch. So if you flop your draw and get action from one of the PF callers you can't be too happy unless the draw is huge.

And your chances of flopping a huge draw, or making your hand on the flop are poor (when inc. 2 pair) and awful when not. And when you do make your hand will you get action? A suited board or 567 isn't going thrill anyone you can beat (that's why single gappers are better). Lastly your chances of bluffing the pot are far smaller multiway.

So I think playing them HU in position against a fish is the ideal scenario. As it is for most hands...
Old 09-02-2004, 12:16 PM

it doesn't seem like the suited is adding anything unless you are willing to risk your stack with a ten-high flush.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:21 PM

I'd almost rather not be suited if it's a multiway pot. I hate to risk my low flush against the nuts.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it doesn't seem like the suited is adding anything unless you are willing to risk your stack with a ten-high flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

it can be worth a lot when you're going all-in on the flop with some kind of combination hand - pair + flush draw or straight draw + flush draw.

you can also play a small flush as a bluff-catcher.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd almost rather not be suited if it's a multiway pot. I hate to risk my low flush against the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly you can play your suited connectors as if they were unsuited connectors -- i.e. only play on for the straight draw. But the suitedness still adds some value as a backdoor draw. i.e. the flop is 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I would be happier calling with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] than with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], because I have the hope of another heart on the turn giving me both draws.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:10 PM

Say you have 8s 7s and the flop comes Qd 4s 5s
Or you have 8s 7s and the flop comes Qs 8h 5s

Do you really want to push in a multiway pot? And would you be happy if you get called?
Old 09-02-2004, 07:37 PM

As far as being suited goes...flopping a straight+flush draw, or a straight+backdoor flush draw makes you a big favourite against someone who's only drawing to a higher (read nut) flush. Also, flopping something as weak as bottom pair gives you loads of outs to improve against big pairs if you flop a straight draw/flush draw as well. However you'll have to play the hand carefully as long as you're not drawing to the nuts. So, bottom/middle/top pair with straight/flush draws are the best way to break someone with a big pair. You've got so many outs you can't even count em