Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 01:22 AM

Default 15/30 QJoffsuit - Not sure if I should have done this

On a 15/30 table on Party Poker, the first time I had ever played that high a limit. I don't know if I should have done this.
I take seat in the UTG position and decline to post a $15 blind since I'll be in the BB next hand. I watch as a few limpers and player 3 seats to my right raises. Everyone folds to him.

Next hand in BB, I get A6 suited. About 3 limpers and the same player to my right raises. We all call. Flop a 4-flush. 1 limper folds. The rest of us check and call all the way to the river to preflop raiser who keeps firing. Everyone folds on River and he takes pot again.

Next hand in SB, I get Jc Qh. 2 limpers, same player raises so I reraise, knocking out the limpers, so I have it heads up.

Flop is 89T of diamonds, giving me nut straight but 3 to a flush on the board, of which I don't have any of that suit. I check-raise on Flop and lead out on turn and river and take down the pot [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I forget exactly what he had, but no diamonds.

In hindsight, I don't know whether I should have done that, but if he was going to raise every time preflop, someone had to make a stand. It did work out for me though. Any thoughts?
Old 12-07-2005, 01:27 AM

Default Re: 15/30 QJoffsuit - Not sure if I should have done this

Congrats on taking down a big pot, but you should probably wait to isolate this guy until you get some better cards.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Congrats on taking down a big pot, but you should probably wait to isolate this guy until you get some better cards.

[/ QUOTE ]
This statement pretty much says it all, Isolating Lags out of position with Queen high is definitely -EV.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This statement pretty much says it all, Isolating Lags out of position with Queen high is definitely -EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. And btw, I'm tight aggressive, and I've definitely had three consecutive great hands all worthy of a PF raise. So I wouldn't read too much into the guy before you've played a fair number with him (at least more than three!).

Nh.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:21 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necesarily. Better position maybe, but not better cards. However, if he thinks he can get the limpers to fold and get it HU with this guy, it might be worth trying.

But if the guy is actually overaggro that much preflop, and players are folding to 3 bets, you can isolate with alot worse hands than Q high.

b
Old 12-07-2005, 05:27 AM

You might've done it a little early in your session. 3 hands isn't much, but 3 str8 raises is suspect, but not out of reason. But the warning light is on so the player should be looked at.

I'd rather have position, personally. But if you're going to play it, that's the way to do it.

b
Old 12-07-2005, 06:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necesarily. Better position maybe, but not better cards. However, if he thinks he can get the limpers to fold and get it HU with this guy, it might be worth trying.

But if the guy is actually overaggro that much preflop, and players are folding to 3 bets, you can isolate with alot worse hands than Q high.

b

[/ QUOTE ]
You have a point here, But I would have to have a good read on how the villain plays postflop before I would attempt to iso him with hands that have no showdown value. Obviously If I believe the villain will play tight postflop(ie fold many flops and/or calls the flop but folds many turns), because he respects my 3 bet, or any 3 bet in general,then I could see isolating with hands with no showdown value. I find this type of lag to be quite rare,which is why with no read I am not going to isolate a lag with a queen high type hand.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]
You have a point here, But I would have to have a good read on how the villain plays postflop before I would attempt to iso him with hands that have no showdown value. Obviously If I believe the villain will play tight postflop(ie fold many flops and/or calls the flop but folds many turns), because he respects my 3 bet, or any 3 bet in general,then I could see isolating with hands with no showdown value. I find this type of lag to be quite rare,which is why with no read I am not going to isolate a lag with a queen high type hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't you rather watch more closely to his preflop raising standards? Many times your Q high is much better than his beginning hand. Were not talking about someone raising normally here. You're giving him too much credit for a hand. Not to mention if you hit a Q or J, you'd like him to call down with his lesser hand.

Again, if someone is overaggro preflop, and the players behind you are playing tight to 3 bets, you can lower your standards quite a bit.

b
Old 12-07-2005, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Next hand in BB, I get A6 suited. About 3 limpers and the same player to my right raises. We all call. Flop a 4-flush. 1 limper folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that you don't describe the flop texture beyond your draw suggests something not good.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't you rather watch more closely to his preflop raising standards? Many times your Q high is much better than his beginning hand. Were not talking about someone raising normally here. You're giving him too much credit for a hand. Not to mention if you hit a Q or J, you'd like him to call down with his lesser hand.

Again, if someone is overaggro preflop, and the players behind you are playing tight to 3 bets, you can lower your standards quite a bit.

b

[/ QUOTE ]
Again, you have a valid point, in extreme cases, a hand like Queen high can have some showdown value.