Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 02:46 AM

Default I played this hand a bit goofy

Villain is a flop betting machine and was taking down too many pots uncontested. I planned to stay for a while to see if I could adjust to aggro villain OOP, but he calmed down when the table filled up a few hands later. The decision to check-raise was done somewhat on a whim. (Semi-tilting? Experimenting? Call it whatever you want.) I figured that queen high had a moderate chance of being best, plus I might just get him to fold his hand since it most likely missed him (pure probability since the board paired). Of course, I wouldn't have done this if the other villain had called.

Then the turn bet was a natural follow-through on the flop check-raise. When he didn't fold, I couldn't figure out what to make of his hand. Maybe he had a weak ace, or perhaps he had a 6 or a medium pocket pair, and was afraid of trips. Or maybe he just took a peel with suited overcards and picked up the flush draw. Or maybe he had a straight draw of some sort. It was very hard to tell.

The river paired my queen. I think I would have gone for the full assault bluff if I had not paired up. But since I now have a showdown hand and a somewhat broad range of hands that villain might hold. Some of those hands may mistakenly value bet a pair if I check (a weak ace will correctly value bet), and I might find a wide range of bluffs thrown in as well (he was almost certainly bluffing some of those flop bets, so he might be capable of river bluffs as well). So I checked.

Feel free to laugh at the flop play all day long. It was definitely not well planned. I'm more curious about the river play. Is villain checking through with too many hands to make this play correct?

Paradise Poker 1/2 Hold'em (3 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (5.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB
Old 11-28-2005, 02:49 AM

Default Re: I played this hand a bit goofy

my vpip from sb is 35% and i fold this preflop.

had i gotten to the river like this, i would value bet for sure.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my vpip from sb is 35% and i fold this preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

My VPIP from SB is 45% and I don't always limp it. In this case, I had check-raising on my mind (because of flop donking villain) and figured I stood to get some extra postflop action as a result. Of course, if you asked me to make a list of flops that I would check-raise, this one wouldn't be found there.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:18 AM

I think betting the river is better than checking.

I'd actually checkfold this flop. I do my fair share of bluffing but I think this is gonna cost you 3BB too often.

Rob
Old 11-28-2005, 05:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think betting the river is better than checking.

[/ QUOTE ]

The pot is small, so that narrows the range of hands that might call, especially after his aggression. We are behind most of the hands still in I think. I just don't see the value, unless his table image is that of a bluff-o-matic.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Paradise Poker 1/2 Hold'em (3 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (5.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain turns over 43s and is playing the board after not connecting with the undercard gutshot. I was leading the whole way (woo hoo!).
Old 11-28-2005, 03:39 PM

Alright, I'm here to make some resident ass hole posts until someone else takes over.

If you never play a hand like this again, your game will improve drastically.

Fold preflop if you can't handle this postflop (you can't). Check/fold the flop.