Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 09:28 AM

Default AQ...

hmm.. would anyone play this differently?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

River: (14.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 folds, MP2 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, CO folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 18.75 BB
Old 05-02-2005, 09:31 AM

Default Re: AQ...

I like raising the flop here.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:32 AM

Preflop - raise like you did
Flop - call like you did
Turn - I'm just calling here
River - I check here and see what happens, board is too scary for me.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:38 AM

Call the turn and check/call the river. The pot is huge and you have to go to showdown, but you might as well minimize your cost at this point.

PF/Flop play seems solid.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:39 AM

Preflop: Good
Flop: I raise here, what's CO betting? Most likely a PP that is still overpair but isn't very strong, more likely could just be overcards. Definitely wanna make the flush draws think twice about drawing out.

Turn: Likely flush, less likely straight. I think I wuss out and call down from here.

River: Ouch, that makes a straight more likely. I think I fold when I'm checkraised.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop - raise like you did

[/ QUOTE ]
agreed.

[/ QUOTE ]Flop - call like you did

[/ QUOTE ]
Raising is much better as it knocks out players behind you, improving your chances of winning.

[/ QUOTE ]Turn - I'm just calling here

[/ QUOTE ]
Then why call the flop? If you only call when the card drops that you want, why continue on the flop?.

[/ QUOTE ]River - I check here and see what happens, board is too scary for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
I probably check this river as well, in spite of UTG open folding. However, you're playing scared. When you play scared you only win when you end up having the best hand. When you play aggressively you pick up a lot of pots through your aggressive play. To all the posters who advocated checking and calling the turn, ask yourself why you are in the hand. If you catch one of the cards that you wanted, why are you playing scared? If you didn't want an Ace, why didn't you fold on the flop? When you're in a hand you need to have a plan. If an Ace falls on the turn, and you intend on checking and letting players who might be behind you at that point draw out on you, then all you were hoping for was a Queen, and you don't have the odds on the flop to continue if you're hoping for just a queen.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I like raising the flop here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll echo that. It looks to me like you were trying to execute a slow play here, popping one on the turn. Playing hands like this will evolve into a major major leak if you aren't careful. Your hand is vulnerable, the pot is big, and you obviously think you have the best hand on the flop (you played like you had the best hand on the turn after you lost a lot of equity). Don't get into the habit of being cute. Making a raise standard here will help you significantly.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:59 AM

pre flop is standard but on the flop when CO bets you are in perfect position to raise. Notice how everyone before CO has checked and with the person next to you betting you can force a lot of people out of the pot by raising (notice now everyone else must call 2 bets cold to play on and are unlikely to do so). By making people fold you increase your chances of winning the pot and clear up your overcard outs (people will fold A's and Q's for 2 bets cold).

Turn play is ok.

Bet the river. Call his raise. You may be beat but checking here is weak.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:06 AM

Raise the flop.

After you got check-raised on the turn, no betting on the river. Just call.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise the flop.

After you got check-raised on the turn, no betting on the river. Just call.

[/ QUOTE ]
pardon?