Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2005, 09:36 AM

Default QQ K on board decision

I feel like I played this poorly. Anyone here advocate a check-call line?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP2 folds.

Final Pot: 8.25 BB
Old 04-14-2005, 09:43 AM

Default Re: QQ K on board decision

Pots to big to fold, so we need to focus on winning it.

Check-call line will cost the minimum to see a showdown, but you'll never gain control of the hand and could be putting a lot of dead money in the pot.

I like the check-raise, maybe fold if he 3-bets/leads into you on the turn unless you improve (any diamond, queen, or even a king). It also traps some dead money in mp2 in the pot, which is nice.

So all in all, I like how you played it. Its a tough position, and check-raising feels weird but I see no other way to play it.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:46 AM

I would have played it the same way, you need to know where your at in the hand, if utg re-raises you you could always fold.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have played it the same way, you need to know where your at in the hand, if utg re-raises you you could always fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way you're folding this hand anywhere to a re-raise. Huge mistake.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:47 AM

He capped it pf, the K is a scary card on the flop. So you have some of the right conditions for c/r, but you aren't really in position to c/r in order to push out MP2, even though that's what happened.

I think I would have bet out on the flop (while cussing), but then my check/raising skills aren't the greatest.

KO
Old 04-14-2005, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He capped it pf, the K is a scary card on the flop. So you have some of the right conditions for c/r, but you aren't really in position to c/r in order to push out MP2, even though that's what happened.

I think I would have bet out on the flop (while cussing), but then my check/raising skills aren't the greatest.

KO

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont like betting because where will it get us? He's never going to fold, if he calls its even worse than raising (smell a monster?), and if he raises us we just have to calldown till we're beat.

By check-raising we're putting the same money in, but taking control of the hand. Cheap showdown is very juicy.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:56 AM

I like the way you played it. If you wouldn't have C/R'd, and just bet out they may have called a few bets, but they also may have folded to your bet. Did you have any reads?
Old 04-14-2005, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the way you played it. If you wouldn't have C/R'd, and just bet out they may have called a few bets, but they also may have folded to your bet. Did you have any reads?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a hint, someone who caps preflop is never going to fold to one bet on the flop.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:15 AM

Read-dependent. Would UTG+1 keep firing with JJ/TT/AQ? Would UTG+1 3-bet any of those hands if you raised? The more aggressive the player, the more likely I am to call down rather than raise. However, with a pot of this size, you have to happy to take it down on the flop like that.

You're not in position to knock out MP2, and even if you could, I don't think it affects this hand much. An Ace is a scare card whether or not MP2 is involved, and you hold 2 of the Qs so a gutshot like JT is not a threat.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a hint, someone who caps preflop is never going to fold to one bet on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never say never. I've seen it happen and so have you. But I know what your saying.