Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 06:06 PM

Default Going for full value

I've been working on getting more value out of my hands...especially vs weak players.

6 handed 30/60

CO opens. Last orbit he open 64s on the button and checked behind HU vs me on a T92 board and a 4 came on the turn and river blank and he called down and I had q9 and won.

His numbers are 50/23/1.2 fwiw

So like I said, he opens in the CO and I call my T7o in the bb. Flop 742r. I cr and he 3 bets. Time for a repop?
Old 07-27-2005, 06:11 PM

Default Re: Going for full value

why not call and lead a non-overcard turn?

check call an overcard turn and river.

against this guy letting him continue to bluff may get you "full value"
Old 07-27-2005, 06:17 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
why not call and lead a non-overcard turn?

check call an overcard turn and river.

against this guy letting him continue to bluff may get you "full value"

[/ QUOTE ]

it didn't sound like he was doing much continuous bluffing
Old 07-27-2005, 06:46 PM

aginst a af of 1.2 i'm calling down. dont put chips in out of position when its likely you're behind.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:32 PM

Given that he didn't even fire one barrel with the 64 when he missed the flop and his AF is only 1.2, I don't know why you would be so enthusiastic to put in a fourth bet here.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been working on getting more value out of my hands...especially vs weak players.

6 handed 30/60

CO opens. Last orbit he open 64s on the button and checked behind HU vs me on a T92 board and a 4 came on the turn and river blank and he called down and I had q9 and won.

His numbers are 50/23/1.2 fwiw

So like I said, he opens in the CO and I call my T7o in the bb. Flop 742r. I cr and he 3 bets. Time for a repop?

[/ QUOTE ]

So when he utterly misses he doesn't fire. He just calls down when he catches after you've gone on the aggressive. However, that doesn't mean he's passive *with* a hand, especially when he's on the offensive. 1.2 aggro isn't really low given his 50VPIP and the fact that he calls down with turned bottom pair.

Given that he likes to play low SCs and gappers, he may well have hit a pair here or have 56. Or of course he could have a high PP. Can't really know his 3-betting range, but obviously it makes 56 much less likely, and overpairs more likely.

So you beat a good part of his range, but by no means can you be certain you're ahead. You'd like to be able to get away from it if he has an overpair, and make the max if he doesn't. (The alternative being to just see the showdown as cheaply as possible, which should also be +EV, but not as good.)

If you cap here and bet out, he'll pay off with a low pair/draw, or raise with an overpair (as he appears to be playing it straightforwardly) and you can fold.

I'm not sure this thinking falls under the category of getting 'more value' out of him though.. although obviously that's always what you're going for..
What're your reasons for being confident you're ahead here?
Old 07-27-2005, 09:01 PM

Mostly with this hand and board...would four bet and lead the turn since, of course, many play overcards the same way (3-bet) and will take the free card a great deal on the turn (and true monsters might wait until turn). Don't like just calling and leading a "safe turn" (stop n go/ aka donk) here since not very sure what's dangerous and don't want to give free card (which will be taken a great deal here)...Just calling and check raising turn is silly (so why bring it up? Its fun to think about...) since reading a pair by the turn isn't too tough(no draws) so checking behind a lot with hands will little showdown value (and three-bet when mighty sevens no good) will result. Like the 4 bet/lead...

Now, does THIS situation merit a change from the usual line? Confess, 1.2 means nothing...appears its "passive" by responses and the 64 hand. Wouldn't discount overcards/worse pair here generally even though passive, as beaten on 64 (tilt?) and general randomness, especially short, comes into play. Good flop, short table, it takes a lot to back off, but go with the feel of the current dharma.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:04 PM

these 3-bets after a c/r on the flop usually mean:

"HEY! RESPECT ME! I TRYING TO SHOW THAT I HAVE SOMETHING BUT I ONLY HAVE OVERCARDS!"

i'd 4 bet and lead the turn...if he raises, now he's saying he might actually have something, but i still won't believe it, and then call down.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:05 PM

You get to 4-bet when you're comfortable enough to lay down to any more pressure from this dude. Otherwise, just call and re-evaluate on the turn.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:27 PM

I like calling and leading the turn. If he raises the turn I throw it in the muck. He will call down with lots of hands you beat and lots of hands that beat you.