Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2005, 06:51 PM

Default Re: I hope you didn\'t watch TILT tonight... how embarrassing...

Have any of you watched Big Blind? What did you think of it?

(just while we are on the topic of television)
Old 03-04-2005, 07:30 PM

I wasn't comparing Tilt to Rocky and The Color of Money in terms of quality. Those are two classic movies. Tilt is new tv show. I was just pointing out that something can be inaccurate and still be good. It's fiction.

To me, it doesn't take that much imagination to see the show as being within the realm of reality. If some of Doyle and TJ's stories were put on TV, they would seem implausible if you didn't know any better. A lot of people might think they're complete BS. Michael Jackson's whole life seems implausible.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:17 AM

I love Tilt. The acting stinks, the story is ridiculous, the poker is horrid, and the whole premise of a soap opera involving poker makes me groan, but that doesn't matter. It brings in more players who have no idea what they're doing. I am certain that this show has inspired people to deposit money online and give it away in short order, and for that I thank the show's producers.

That, and the "Man Hits Jackpot; Stays There" headline in the newspaper when what's-his-face fell to his death was hilarious.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:29 AM

I don't get the point of the cop. Couldn't they have picked an actor to play him? He has about the worst line delivery I've seen on TV, and this counts shows like Polka Dot Door.

(I still watch the show though [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img])
Old 03-05-2005, 06:32 PM

What pisses me off the most is the constant sex scenes...its as if the writers are just saying "we have no plot and we can't think of anything that will grab attention, lets put a 3-some and a crooked nudie-bar in this episode, that should keep those pre-teens watching"
Old 03-05-2005, 06:49 PM

I think it's more like "We have to make it look like Las Vegas so lets have non-stop sex stuff that makes no sense at all"

I saw Nickel (the cop guy) in some different show that was on cable. He looked to be a few years younger but I immediately thought "hey, it's that cop-guy from tilt who has the goofy stare all the time"

BTW - I finally saw the whole episode WITH sound...and while I still think it's terrible I do agree with others that it actually has gotten marginally better.

In the 'making of Tilt' preview shows that aired before it started we learn that it's filmed in Toronto.

Tropical Henry and a couple of the other 'bit' parts have a thick enough Canadian accent that it seems obvious to me they were local actors. I think the older lady who Nickel talks to over dinner about the guy getting thrown over the ledge also had the accent.

Obviously people with northern U.S. and Canadian accents go to Vegas too....so it's not too unrealistic...I just think it's fun picking out the actors who really strike me as having stronger Canadian accents.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:16 PM

I'm learning how to cheat.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Do you really need 3 computers to play on 3 different computers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you do. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

I find the show ridiculous, but like an earlier poster, I still download and watch it every week.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:16 AM

I just watched it right now and paused it when they showed him playing the 3 tables of poker simultaneously.

The first two monitors on the left are from Doyle's Room / VC skin. However he's not actually doing anything because the same animation / hands are being played exactly on the two monitors. The only difference is the hand is about two seconds behind on the second monitor.

I can't make out the site on the third monitor exactly, but it looks to be another VC skin. Also, even though he has action buttons on the screen no hands are face up and only one hand has been folded face down. Odd.

Don't forget, he even has the added stack of chips on the side so he can practice chip shuffling. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
2 things pissed me off more:

1. with 3 diamonds on the board and top 2 pair, eddie made no attempt to protect his hand. I don't know NL but slowplaying there seems incredibly stupid
2. some guy called off all his chips with JJ on a Kxy board

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what the stack sizes are, but I agree that these overbets are pretty rediculous.

With Eddie's hand, when the turn 9 came it completed a straight and a flush yet he still pushes and gets called all in on the river. His "tell" only told him his opponent has a strong hand which could be anything from a straight, flush, set, or two pair. Ironically his opponent holds the only possible strong hand he could beat.

But yeah, I watch Tilt purely for entertainment and don't take it too seriously. If people like to think internet players are a bunch of fuggin idiots, it's not that bad of an image. It might help get more fish into sea. It's certainly better than alluding to the fact that everyone cheats at poker to win.

MD: I can't comment on how internet players react in live games, but it surprises me a bit. I thought people only table coached / ranted only because they were protected by internet anonymity and it was less of an occurence live.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It wasn't just one table per monitor, it was one table per COMPUTER!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I know everyone loves to slam this show for any reason, but the purpose of having 3 seperate monitors in this scene is so that the 98% of the audience that doesn't read 2+2 or play online can see that online you can play multiple games...

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminds me of a few years back when I went to see "Swordfish" (the one where Halle Barrie is sunbathing topless) with a buddy of mine. Every time someone was hacking and IP addresses were appearing on his monitor, my buddy would sigh heavily. After the movie, I asked him what was upsetting him during the movie. He replied curtly, "The IP's were impossible. The first octet was always 300, and you can't have an octet over 255."

He works in network security, and this really upset him.

The other 99.99999% of the world wouldn't have noticed this glaring error...but that part totally ruined the movie for him, I'm sure of it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he was smart enough to figure out that the IP addresses used in movies are bogus perhaps he is also smart enough to figure out *why* they are bogus. I guess he also thinks every phone number in Hollywood actually does start with 555-.