Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-29-2005, 07:11 PM

Default Trash in checked field

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em
Converted w/ PonksSaver: http://www.pokermentor.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=510
- - - HAND 3281310172 - - -
PreFlop: <font color="blue">HERO</font> is BB with <font color="blue">J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]</font> <font color="black">3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]</font> (5 Players)
UTG calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="blue">HERO</font> checks,

Flop: (5.00 SB) <font color="black">J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]</font> <font color="red">4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]</font> <font color="red">5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]</font> (5 Players)
SB checks, <font color="blue">HERO</font> checks, UTG checks, CO checks, Button checks,

Turn: (2.50 BB) <font color="green">5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]</font> (5 Players)
SB <font color="green">bets</font>, <font color="blue">HERO</font> ????

No one showed strength on the flop. I assume this is raise or fold. I figure if any of the CO or BUT had a 5 they would bet or a draw. I didnt like my hand with that flop.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:14 PM

Default Re: Trash in checked field

fold.

..but the decision is between calling and folding, not raising and folding. any worse hand that calls behind you is making a big mistake and you'd minimize your losses vs. SB.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:26 PM

Definitely don't call. The pot is small and probably not worth the effort, but if you want to continue in the hand, raise to get the pot heads-up; you're dead against a 5 and some Jacks but SB could have a pocket pair under J as well. If you both have J's, raising will get you a showdown &amp; you'll hopefully split with a high river card - if you get 3bet, he's got you beat. Also, a turn raise might knock out a better Jack.

BTW if hero just calls, all overcalls are getting proper odds on straight &amp; flush draws.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW if hero just calls, all overcalls are getting proper odds on straight &amp; flush draws.

[/ QUOTE ]
which are likely not out

1. because a four flush or oesd almost always bets the flop.
2. because the players yet to act are limpers and typical limping hands are unlikely to have straight draws with a 4 and a 5.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:25 PM

I'd just bet out on the flop. Board doesn't look that threatening to me.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:54 PM

Gotta bet that flop.
Edit: Top-pair is not trash [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2005, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd just bet out on the flop. Board doesn't look that threatening to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. This is a five handed game you have to bet the flop or else you get into goofy situations on the turn.

BTW - I'll make the play the SB did here from time to time. Occasionally when nobody likes the pot on the flop I'll stab from the blinds when junk falls. I pick up a decent amount of pots here. People are more apt to think the SB or BB has junk and hit this than the other positions.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:48 PM

I think you should bet the flop. As played when the board pairs small on the turn, the sb or bb frequently will bluff here after the flop was checked around. It would help to have a better read on this players betting patterns. Some players will bet any pair out of the blinds on the flop, some will tend to bluff the turn in this particular situation.

So, against some players I would raise here (to get hu w/sb). If we were aready hu , I would call behind on the turn, and let him bluff off his money.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:03 PM

On a board like that I'll bet the flop with top pair and a backdoor straight draw.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:16 PM

Bet the flop. I call the turn, maybe raise. Definitely don't fold.

Krishan