Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 04-20-2005, 08:34 AM

Default NL200 TPGK 3 handed

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 3 handed) converter

Hero ($376.87)
Button ($192.1)
SB ($30.73)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
Button calls $2, SB (poster) completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($6) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $20</font>, SB folds, Hero?

I mine this game religously and had no stats on this guy, and hes new to the table. How do you procede from this point?
Old 04-20-2005, 09:25 AM

Default Re: NL200 TPGK 3 handed

would you guys consider the overriding factor in deciding what to do here the size of the pot? its pretty tiny so far and possibly not worth fussing over?
Old 04-20-2005, 09:54 AM

I think you have the best hand here more often than not. 3 handed Button will probably raise all hands that beat you except maybe two pairs but more likely he has a king with a weaker kicker or is on a steal or is on a draw.

Good point about the pot being relatively small so that it's not hard to give up, but nevertheless I'll repoop him to around $50. If he calls that, I'll try to keep the pot as small as possible from then on (but that won't be easy - maybe I should fold after all? Nah....OK....yes.....no.....dunno)
Old 04-20-2005, 01:01 PM

As you say the pot is small enuf and probably not worth it. Without a read, I'd lay them down and monitor villian closely until I could gather a read from future hands. If you feel villian is getting out of line... then punish him in a future hand.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:11 PM

I think raising is probably your worst option because you're only building a pot against hands that beat you, and you'll have to check the turn out of position if he calls. Folding is definitely an option, but I have a problem with that because I feel you are ahead here more often than not. What about smooth-calling? If he's on a steal or a weak king a smooth call will scare him for sure and not alot of players at this level have the balls to fire again with nothing, and probably will just want a showdown with a weak king. I'd say I'd call the flop, check the turn, fold to a 2/3 to pot bet, but fire about 1/2 to 2/3 on the river if he checks on the turn as a little blocker/value bet. Obviously fold if raised. I like that line.