Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Moving from $25 to $50, is it worth it?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is a big jump of skills from 50s to 100s...

...once you adjust properly, your payoff is big.

[/ QUOTE ]Would you mind elaborating on the adjustments needed when moving from 25NL to 50NL and from 50NL to 100NL, based on your observations and experience?

Thanks!
M

[/ QUOTE ]

I think 25 and 50 are so bad because people do not read the board. For example, they will call big bet w 4 to a straight or 3 flush on board with 2 pair or worse. People are so willing to call it makes bluff almost useless at these levels. Just let them pay off your monsters! At 100NL or above, this changes dramatically and people play draws more aggressively in general comparing to 50s. Nut peddling still work at this level, but once people put you on a tight rock image, they fold whenever you bet big!

I play only 6 max. Learning to adjust to your opponent is the most important skills. For example play against maniac could be very profitable (for someone think they are dangerous, he probably does not adjust well). Once I get a feel of the maniac, I call raise with any 2 playable card. If other people do not adjust well, they contribute a lot of EV to you too.

There are probably alot of other important things I might or might now know. Variance at 100s is a bitch. Tilt almost 300 yesterday after some very bad beat. While still up 1k for the month, I might need to play like maniac at 25s for a change of pace. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2005, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree, this is also why I am hesitant. I just always seem to find myself bluffing at the wrong time, so I don't do it so much anymore (and I really don't need to at 25NL, and it may even be -EV cuz they call so much). But yeah that's one thing I know I have to work on.

[/ QUOTE ]

don't look at it as bluffing, when making a continuation bet you're most likely just protecting what is the best hand.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:25 PM

I suck at the search function, but someone should link Fimbulwinter's post on when you know you are ready to move up levels. The FAQ should be updated to include it.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:27 PM

fimbulwinter's post
Old 12-06-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you enjoy having $2X more than having $X then you should move up once you're beating NL25.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-06-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fimbulwinter's post

[/ QUOTE ]

THANKS [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2005, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fimbulwinter's post

[/ QUOTE ]

God, i miss Fim...
Old 12-06-2005, 03:29 PM

link no worky?
Old 12-06-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Would you mind elaborating on the adjustments needed when moving from 25NL to 50NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Reverse implied odds - if you give someone a chance to break you by undercharging then overpaying, then will let you do it more frequently at $50 NL

2. I find that $50NL players have more defined styles (mostly loose agressive and rocks). In many ways i find it easier to interpret a $50NL players actions, as they are more textbook.

3. Online sites are roughly equivalent in player skill at $25NL - not so at $50NL - party is substantially fishier than UB or FullTilt or PokerRoom at the higher levels.

My $.03
Scott
Old 12-06-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fimbulwinter's post

[/ QUOTE ]
That link didn't work for me. Not too long ago, someone posted a fimbulwinter digest. I've reposted the link to it a couple of times. Once SSNL gets a new moderator, one of his/her/their first tasks should be to include the classic fimbulwinter posts in the FAQ.