Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 11:22 PM

Default Moving from $25 to $50, is it worth it?

I've been mostly playing $25NL, where I can basically find an easy game anywhere, and have no problem 8 or 10 tabling at 5-10BB/100.

I just tried some $50NL on PokerRoom network and the tables became significantly tighter. It almost seems that it's not as profitable to play at $50NL because of this, and I also probably can't multitable as much. However, I did fairly well at the few $50PL tables they had, which were fairly loose.

What kind of experience have you guys had with this? And what would you recommend as a plan to move up?
Old 12-05-2005, 11:31 PM

Default Re: Moving from $25 to $50, is it worth it?

Move up.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:35 PM

I almost posted this exact same question. The 25NL games are filled with juicy players on pokerroom. I haven't moved up yet becomes the games change significatly going to 50NL.. However it is necessarily in learning i suppose so eventually i will. But i'm positive I'm making more money on 25NL then i would on 50nl.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:38 PM

I have almost exactly the same problem. I beat the 25NL tables easily. But the 50NL tables are significantly tighter (full ring change from 45-50% see flops to 30-35%) and people are also much more aggressive.

I go from 10PTBB at the 25s to barely break even at the 50s. It is a small sample size and I think I do play a bit scared, but the difference does seem a lot bigger than people give it credit for.

I was really glad to read this post - I thought I was the only one with this problem.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:30 PM

why not play at party instead?
Old 12-06-2005, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have almost exactly the same problem. I beat the 25NL tables easily. But the 50NL tables are significantly tighter .
I was really glad to read this post - I thought I was the only one with this problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

If anyone can explain how I seem to be the only person who does better at 50NL rather than 25NL - without using the handy phrases "small sample size" or "variance is a [insert preferred expletive]" I'm all ears.. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

to pick up on another point...

"winning style of play at 25NL is a losing style at higher limits"

is this correct?

and if so - what are the main adjustments you need to make to your game to be a success at either level?

aoplogies if I am being really stupid and not seeing the blatantly obvious here..
Old 12-06-2005, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"winning style of play at 25NL is a losing style at higher limits"

is this correct?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not correct. I think if you play EXACTLY the same way you play at NL25 to beat it for, say, 10PTBB/100, you would beat NL1K for at least ~3PTBB/100. TAG style is CERTAINLY not losing play at 5/10. Did you guys not see my post where he called a bet/3-bet all-in with bottom pair no draw on a mono flop vs a preflop raiser? And that was a WINNING 5/10 PLAYER!
Old 12-06-2005, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you guys not see my post where he called a bet/3-bet all-in with bottom pair no draw on a mono flop vs a preflop raiser? And that was a WINNING 5/10 PLAYER!

[/ QUOTE ]

Musta put you on a pure bluff
Old 12-06-2005, 07:52 PM

He's behind even a pure bluff.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If anyone can explain how I seem to be the only person who does better at 50NL rather than 25NL - without using the handy phrases "small sample size" or "variance is a [insert preferred expletive]" I'm all ears.. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Could be that folding is a bit more prevalent at 50NL than 25NL. If your bluffing frequency is just a bit too high for 25NL even a slight increase in fold equity would bring the same bluffing frequency closer to optimal at 50NL. Just a thought...

Also, thanks to the very helpful folks who commented on 25->50->100.

M