Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 05:14 PM

Default I\'m clueless

I realized that I have no idea how to play monster holdings. None whatsoever. I play my nominal hands far better than my huge ones.

This was a hand that occured last night at a Party NL50 10-handed table. I have everyone covered when the hand occured.

I get dealt QTspades

I see flop for cheap. 4 people see flop.

Flop is 8h9sJs. Check, next guy bets $2 (about pot), I minraise to $4 with two players behind me (1 yet to act). Fold, fold, and original bettor folds. I take the $6 pot with a net of about $3.50 or so.

Absolutely HORRIBLE, right? I flopped the nuts...and I have two redraws to my OESFD. My reasoning was that maybe I get into a raising war with villain and we get it all in ASAP. This is silly. No reason to get it all in early. Not to mention if he's on the NFD and the Ks or 8s falls, then I bust him.

Should my line simply be to call him down on each street? Let him do the bidding and disguise my hand strength?

Thanks in advance. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2005, 05:21 PM

Default Re: I\'m clueless

Nothing wrong with raising here. The problem is the min-raise. Make a real raise to $7-8. You really do not want the ace of spades drawing with correct odds to bust you. It was obvious that no one had much of a hand and I can't see any additional cards (other than 8sKs) giving anyone else a strong second best hand so either somebody has a hand and will play or they don't.

Just don't let it enter your mind to slowplay a situation like this. If some one flopped a set or two pair, they are coming along. Best to charge them if they are going to hit their boat.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:25 PM

Default Re: I\'m clueless

Good point. Although the board was very "mid-range", so SB and BB could always flop 2 raggedy pair on this kind of flop. I should have raised more.