Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2004, 11:41 PM

Default Re: Ed Miller planning second book

I don't think you'd have to analyze exactly the same hand examples for Small Stakes and Higher Stakes. You could just introduce a concept, then give corresponding examples from each category that aren't the same exact hand, but are closely related.

If some concepts apply to one category but not the other, you could put in a hand where a player mistakenly applies a concept to the wrong type of game and show how it costs him.

This keeps with the idea that the reason the games have to be played so differently is that hands play out in such fundamentally different ways, but it also allows the reader to draw close comparisons and cross-apply concepts.

In any form, I think it's a great idea. I don't think overcomplexity would be much of a problem if the comparisons are approached correctly. I'd buy it in a second.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:47 PM

Not high enough- Mike l. thinks the 100-200 at commerce is an easy game.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:21 AM

I saw you pacing around the Commerce, you honestly don't think those 40-80 games are "a piece of cake"?
Old 08-23-2004, 01:55 AM

As a suggestion, I think it would be nice to have some sort of companion CD with a simple software program that can playback the example hands.

I definitely think the CD idea is a good one. Problem with it is that producing such a CD would require a lot of work beyond what 2+2 normally does.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I'd love to have a CD as well (perhaps laid out in a similar way to my column at CGTV). But you won't see a CD in six months like you might see the next book. It's way more than a six month project.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:57 AM

Hi David,

I think this book proposal is an excellent idea.
I currently play mainly low limit games but occasionally dabble in the higher limit games. A book that helps a player like myself bridge the gap between proper strategy in both low and high limit would be invaluable.

You are right..even in the low limit games now, you will occasionally come across one or two very good players and I believe a book such as this one will give us players enough understanding to make the necessary adjustments.

I would be one of the first to pre-order this book if it ever sees print.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:11 AM

I'd read it
Old 08-23-2004, 10:25 AM

Default I agree with Dynasty

I would rather see 300 small stakes problems.

I think it would be too difficult to write the book David proposed. The hands would just start out being too different because of the amount of people that will see the flop in each game. I would find it hard to see the relevance between the two games. It would be one thing if you could use play at higher limits to contrast with play at low limits, but I think from pre-flop on, the play would be sooo different that it would be hard to provide the contrast of stategy differences at various levels.

A book of 300 problems would be a better project. However, unlike Dynasty suggested, I would like to have it 65% geared toward low limits, and 35% aimed at higher limits. This way you can point out differences in stategies between the two games, and help us players in the lower limits move up to the higher limits.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:22 PM

wouldn't it be more instructive/useful to offer different comments based on the skill of the players, irrespective of limits?

for instance (for each hand):

a) here's how to play the hand when your 3 opponents are fish

b) here's how to play it with 2 fish in front and a thinking, aggressive button

c) here's how to play the same hand with a tight aggro player UTG and 2 fish behind you, etc.

--turnipmonster
Old 08-23-2004, 02:05 PM

Why don't y'all get together with Wilson and do a game that uses the SSH, HPFAP methods?
Old 08-23-2004, 02:21 PM

Why don't y'all get together with Wilson and do a game that uses the SSH, HPFAP methods?

That sounds easy to do when you put it like that... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]