Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 12-24-2005, 11:59 AM

Default The Nuts... now what?

I thought about this for some time and although it might not be of any major importance, I'm wondering what others think.

Party Poker 0.50/1.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: (7.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 13.75 BB.
Results in white below:<font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Ah Ks (a flush, ace high.)
UTG+1 has Qd Qh (a flush, king high.)
Hero wins 13.00 BB.
</font>
Ok, thats the hand. I'm interested in what you think about this:

At the river, I waited 23 seconds before betting, hoping to trick UTG+1. The board obviously 4-flushed, I had the absolute nuts and thought a bit about yielding the maximum result.

I tried to appear bluffing, by faking to fear his possible flush, and then after a while deciding to bet. He called me down so far, so I figured it couldnt hurt to give it a try. Maybe he tried to bluff me, or even had a flush, i was going to win anyway.

As you can see it made me another 2BB, at zero-risk. I'd say thats not too bad, although this situation probably isn't that common. He had the second-nuts, that really helped calling my raise. I'm not sure what players would do after they raised my "bluff" and get reraised, I suppose they would fold, or feel too committed and call anyway.

What do you think about using the factor reaction-time at the river to induce your opponents? Is it even worth thinking about or is it way to marginal? Any thoughts?

Oh btw, please tell me if you see another way I could've maximized this hand.

ps. 1st post yay *dances*
Old 12-24-2005, 12:11 PM

Default Re: The Nuts... now what?

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4

[ QUOTE ]
At the river, I waited 23 seconds before betting, hoping to trick UTG+1. The board obviously 4-flushed, I had the absolute nuts and thought a bit about yielding the maximum result.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats just bad business, theres absolutely no way pulling "Hollywood" garbage like this is gonna induce him to take a shot at you.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I tried to appear bluffing, by faking to fear his possible flush, and then after a while deciding to bet. He called me down so far, so I figured it couldnt hurt to give it a try. Maybe he tried to bluff me, or even had a flush, i was going to win anyway.

As you can see it made me another 2BB, at zero-risk. I'd say thats not too bad, although this situation probably isn't that common. He had the second-nuts, that really helped calling my raise. I'm not sure what players would do after they raised my "bluff" and get reraised, I suppose they would fold, or feel too committed and call anyway.

What do you think about using the factor reaction-time at the river to induce your opponents? Is it even worth thinking about or is it way to marginal? Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just bet out. Don't wait that long. You have been betting the entire way and he will raise if he thinks he rivered you. Fancy play syndrom will only hurt your earn in the nano limits. Just play mostly straight forward and you will make money. Also playing for am image is almost moot because players are not paying attention to you anyway.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4

[/ QUOTE ]

Openfold the river.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:14 PM

dangit, totally missed the lower hearts [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] you're right...

I don't see why it's "Hollywood garbage" tho.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:19 PM

how about "WPT/WSOP crap"?

Theres just no reason to take this long...He would've check/raised regardless of how long you waited. All you did was waste time
Old 12-24-2005, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't see why it's "Hollywood garbage" tho.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you are wasting your time worrying about how to play the second nuts HU on the river. These plays are pretty straight forward. Even if you open folded, it would not be a huge mistake in the long run because this decision comes up really infrequently. Focus on other areas of your game, areas that you have to make a decision about most of the time. PF calls, flop protection, playing draws. These concepts are much more important and much more frequent then the OP situation you described.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:31 PM

Sorry, I never watched poker on the television.
The first line of the post already claimed that it probably wasn't of any importance, just wanted to get some views. I understand that the microlimits forum isn't the perfect place for this, but heck, first posts always screw up [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-24-2005, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm interested in what you think about this...
ps. 1st post yay *dances*

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, I think you got a great hand (it isn't the nuts, btw), you won a fairly large pot, and you wanted to post the hand. Success on all counts, nh!

Oh, and dude? He checked to you on the river. He's either c/r'ing you or c/f'ing you, how long you take to act is immaterial. He's decided his play, he doesn't care about what you do. If you were first to act, then there are those on this board that might tell you that your delay had an effect (I'm not one of them) but when you're checked to no way.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:56 PM

you are assuming that your pause influenced his behaviour. wouldnt he call you anyway with the second nut flush.