Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2005, 02:11 PM

Default Check raise AK on the River unimproved.

Button was a LAG maniac. We had been going to war frequently in several hands so far. The poster was new to the table.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. MP posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls, MP calls.

The Button was decent but way aggressive. We had capped each other several times.

Flop: (12.33 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP checks, Button checks.

Looks like button has big cards. I was going to checkraise him here. Should I lead the flop.

Turn: (6.16 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, MP calls.

River: (9.16 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP folds, Button calls.

I thought I was ahead of button's range. QK, AQ, KJ, each. I might get AK to fold. If I call the poster might win the post with a weak pair. TJo or something. How does this look.

Final Pot: 13.16 BB
Old 12-23-2005, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Check raise AK on the River unimproved.

[ QUOTE ]
Button was a LAG maniac. The Button was decent but way aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]
btw c/r the turn, not the river
Old 12-23-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
c/r the turn, not the river

[/ QUOTE ]
That's what I was thinking.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is because.......?

I think the poster should fold the same type of hands on the turn that he will fold on the river. 79o, 7Qo, mabye T4o - a check raise will definately fold alot of weak pair type hands from the poster on both the turn and the river. Anytime hero steals the pot from a weak pair is a big victory.

I just called the turn looking for one of my 6 outs. I did not think the LAGGY player had a great hand and the poster -who really knows? A check raise would likely drive him out on both the turn or river. I guess you guys are thinking the turn is a better spot because it doesnt give anybody a chance to hit a cheap card on the river? AK could still be best here.

What is the plan for the rest of the hand after a turn check raise?
Old 12-23-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is because.......?

I think the poster should fold the same type of hands on the turn that he will fold on the river. 79o, 7Qo, mabye T4o - a check raise will definately fold alot of weak pair type hands from the poster on both the turn and the river. Anytime hero steals the pot from a weak pair is a big victory.

I just called the turn looking for one of my 6 outs. I did not think the LAGGY player had a great hand and the poster -who really knows? A check raise would likely drive him out on both the turn or river. I guess you guys are thinking the turn is a better spot because it doesnt give anybody a chance to hit a cheap card on the river? AK could still be best here.

What is the plan for the rest of the hand after a turn check raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would check/call the river. Get him to bluff when you have him beat, save a bet when you don't.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would check/call the river. Get him to bluff when you have him beat, save a bet when you don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Check calling would be a huge mistake.

It would give the poster a chance to overcall with a marginal pair and would lose the ENTIRE pot. Check raising gives the hero a chance to show down heads up against villians probable junk. Giving poster the chance to make a BIG mistake - folding any pair here - gives hero a good chance to win a big pot.

I am curious why several recomended check raising the turn. The river blank was not an A or K still was a great card for hero here.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I guess you guys are thinking the turn is a better spot because it doesnt give anybody a chance to hit a cheap card on the river? What is the plan for the rest of the hand after a turn check raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats the main reason I was thinking of.

To a lesser extent, in the slight chance Button has 66, 88, or 99, you have a better chance of blowing him off it on the turn than on the river for one more bet when a blank card came that doesn't look like it should have helped you.

If he called a turn c/r, I'd bet/fold or maybe bet/call if I had a read he will bluff raise the river.

Also, you might have to call a river raise though because you look like you don't have much because because you checked the flop and didn't bet out or c/r the turn. Had you done one of those, it would make more sense to Villian that you wanted to c/r the flop but he thwarted you. He is not going to be too afraid of you on the river, and he might think your river checkraise is a bluff w/ something like AK. He will then only call if he can match or beat that.

And the above paragraph applies to the way you played your hand. I think your only going to get called by a hand you chop with or lose to, so I don't see value in check/raising the river.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Check calling would be a huge mistake.

It would give the poster a chance to overcall with a marginal pair and would lose the ENTIRE pot. Check raising gives the hero a chance to show down heads up against villians probable junk. Giving poster the chance to make a BIG mistake - folding any pair here - gives hero a good chance to win a big pot.

I am curious why several recomended check raising the turn. The river blank was not an A or K still was a great card for hero here.

[/ QUOTE ]

No... If you check-riase the turn, then you will be heads up on the river. Allowing the MP player to stay in would be a big mistake because you could lose the ENTIRE pot. On the river you should check/call. If villian has junk, checking to him will induce a bluff.