Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-02-2005, 12:12 AM

Default Typical CR.

Here's a fairly common CR situation. For this hand, I had been getting run over recently. The villain is loose and not especially aggressive but not passive either. Pretty much your middle of the road 40/6/1.x player.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (9 max, 9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero...

First, do you continue with the hand.

Second, IF you do continue, what is your plan?

- Jim
Old 12-02-2005, 12:16 AM

Default Re: Typical CR.

I absolutely continue with this hand due to how draw heavy the board is. I think the best approach is probably to call the flop c/r and raise the turn for a free showdown.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I absolutely continue with this hand due to how draw heavy the board is. I think the best approach is probably to call the flop c/r and raise the turn for a free showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you just call a turn 9 if you continued with this plan in mind?
Old 12-02-2005, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you just call a turn 9 if you continued with this plan in mind?

[/ QUOTE ]
I would be more worried with a 7,Q or a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and would probably continue with the turn raise if a 9 peeled off even though we would now have to call a 3-bet.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:11 AM

I like three betting the flop, betting the turn and checking behind on the river. It's obviously safe to fold if he check raises the turn.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a good standard line. I also find that I fold less than others because I want to see a showdown so I can play similar spots against the BB better, so here I might just call/call/call.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a good standard line. I also find that I fold less than others because I want to see a showdown so I can play similar spots against the BB better, so here I might just call/call/call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm slow to understand. I think what you're saying is that you'll pay off here to see his cards in order to understand how to play against him in further rounds. I like that better.

I've been incorporating more and more lines into my play that don't involve folding (e.g. raising the turn and folding to a 3 bet). Especially in spots like this. Sometimes it resembles a calling station...but whatever.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:24 AM

QT,

I'm starting to work on this as well and the value of just showing down against a lot of these over aggroish TAGs at the mid limits is often more important than trying to extract max value. Said another way, these people can/will 3-bet with hands you are beating so setting yourself up to fold the best hand isn't good. At the lower limits you can count on eliciting honest responses from people on the bigger streets and thus can fold with confidence to a 3-bet, but against a quasi-unknown at 10/20+ it is sometimes better to forego some value and just call down (also the call/call lines gets the same bets in as a free showdown raise in this case).
Old 12-02-2005, 11:03 AM

If the goal is a cheap showdown, how about 3-betting the flop and checking the turn?

- Jim
Old 12-02-2005, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If the goal is a cheap showdown, how about 3-betting the flop and checking the turn?

- Jim

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that a lot less if he's willing to 4-bet a draw, and a lot of overaggros learn that trick first.