Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 11-11-2005, 12:22 AM

Default Mike Matasow Question (SPOILER)

Do not read below if you still do not know the results of the WSOP Main Event or the TOC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, so I read today on ESPN that all the money Matasow made at the final table, over $1 million for 9th place, was quickly gone. I'm assuming to backers and various other shady people. Does anyone know who backed him in the main event, I'm think Sidel, but how much he owed and to whom? I know he went to prison, but the article also said he was dead broke, is that true? Didn't he also make the final table in Aruba? What the hell is he doing with all these millions that he has won? Also how much is he having to pay out from his TOC win? I just don't understand how someone with so much talent is such a loser in life...similar to John Daly, Lawrence Taylor, ect...whats up with these guys?
Old 11-11-2005, 01:25 AM

Default Re: Mike Matasow Question (SPOILER)

Read his interview in Card Player. He's basically an action junkie that loves to bet on sports.

While oftentimes good at the poker table, he's proud of his lack of respect for money.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:20 AM

He lost his Aruba money betting on sports while he was in prison. I know it sounds funny but it is true. he had somebody placing the bets for him on the outside. Sick but true.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:42 AM

Phil Gordon maybe? Phil was in the stands providing support and seemed to be the first guy MM would high-five after a win or whatever.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do not read below if you still do not know the results of the WSOP Main Event or the TOC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I put 2+2 together.
I've seen him get taken down hard by Spirit Rock.
His brother mentioned many times at the TOC (in response to Mike discussing his debt) that "Internet poker is the devil."

While he is an action junkie, I think a lot of his problems were probably losses on the internet, at least of late.

If you see him, just ask. He'll tell you and he won't lie. He's honest as can be.

He even apologized to the audience for being boring. He said because everyone was playing great poker (final 3 left, and they were), he really had to concentrate.

Ok, so I read today on ESPN that all the money Matasow made at the final table, over $1 million for 9th place, was quickly gone. I'm assuming to backers and various other shady people. Does anyone know who backed him in the main event, I'm think Sidel, but how much he owed and to whom? I know he went to prison, but the article also said he was dead broke, is that true? Didn't he also make the final table in Aruba? What the hell is he doing with all these millions that he has won? Also how much is he having to pay out from his TOC win? I just don't understand how someone with so much talent is such a loser in life...similar to John Daly, Lawrence Taylor, ect...whats up with these guys?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-11-2005, 11:02 AM

I think by being so talented at poker, he is liberal with his spending because he knows he can just go and play in another tourney and make money again. It's really not the best way to look at money IMO, but I do it sometimes too. I take shots at MTT's higher than I should because of my bankroll, but I take those shots because I know that I can make the money back at $11 STT's.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:03 AM

todd brunson backed him. we know this because when mike got knocked out todd turned bright red on live audio feed and said something to the affect of "that just costed me X million!". the audio commentators which were jennifer harman and daniel negreanu tried to cover it up by saying that todd said that because mike would have blown it all in the big cash games.