Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2005, 10:56 AM

Default 3/6NL: awkward set play against short & big stack

I just sat down about an orbit or so ago. BB is tag..21/8/2. How do I extract here without having my hand scream set? Is there no way around it? I just have to jam-reraise here?

What's the best line? Both of their lines look like draws to me but I'm assuming only one of them is. The problem is that if the short stack is on the draw and I jam it then I'll be scaring away the BB's top pair hand. On the other hand, if I play it soft and the BB has the draw then I'll be giving him infinite odds. I could just flat call and see if he reraises to isolate whereby I could come way over the top but that seems way too risky. What to do?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $6 BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

Button ($192.65)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($767.10)</font>
BB ($989.60)
<font color="#C00000">UTG ($94.50)</font>
MP ($356.20)
CO ($700.84)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls $6, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $6, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($24) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $40</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $88.5 (All-In)</font>, CO folds
Old 09-17-2005, 12:42 PM

Default Re: 3/6NL: awkward set play against short & big stack

Flat call and hope he reraises thinking you are on spades.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:35 PM

Reraise.

How much is a good question, but what is he reraising you with on that board? K3, 33, K7, KJ, Flush draw, 4s5s, pair+flush draw ?

I like reraising big here on this board. Because he's only folding K9 type hands, and I doubt he's min raising those hands to begin with.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:03 PM

I call, hope he reraises, call that, then plan to c/r on turn.

What does he have...spade draw or K3, mayeb KQ?

By calling, you wont blow him off single pair or lower spade draw.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:43 PM

I reraised to $175 and BB folded. I really would like to know if many more of you feel that flat calling and giving BB a cheap turn is worth the risk in the attempt to stack him rather than scare him off. I'm getting the terms "bet more on the turn," "don't give him odds," "raise more" pounded into my head so much that I can't ever find a situation where the risk of not betting/raising is "worth it" without the nuts. 2+2 has driven the words "bet" and "raise" into my head perhaps too much. I can't remember the last time I slowplayed or risked giving odds to a potential draw. Isn't this a good time to do that?

Btw.. Shorty had Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Turn: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] giving him the nuts [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

River: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] giving ME the nuts [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]