Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 06:29 PM

Default 78 sooooooted river bluff?

3/6 6max first orbit. 600 effective stacks

I raise 78 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the CO to 25 after a limper.

Flop (50) Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

He checks I pot it, he calls.

Turn (150) 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

He checks, I check. Anyone fire another shell here?

River (150) J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

He leads for the minimum, WTF? raise or give up?
Old 09-14-2005, 07:18 PM

Default Re: 78 sooooooted river bluff?

Leading for the minimum on the river is his way of saying, "please try to raise me off this pot, so i can come back over the top and leave you wondering why you didn't abandon ship on this lost cause bluff." Don't bother putting any more money into this pot. If you don't fire on the turn, don't fire at all.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:20 PM

It's ok to lose a pot. Let it go.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:38 PM

Figure out what kinda player he is, I normally raise, half the time I'm spewing chips and this guy has a jack, the toher half the time he wants to know if his 6 is good.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't fire on the turn, don't fire at all

[/ QUOTE ]

How often are you firing a second barrel on the turn?
Old 09-14-2005, 07:43 PM

leading for minimum is also a way of saying, i think my top pair but my kicker is crappy, but let's hope he gets scared and just calls with his top pair!

Potting the turn wouldn't be too bad if you think he can fold top pair after the first pot. The 9 is a good scare card as KT just hit, and he could've already had a bad hand to begin with. The problem is, if he had KQ, QJ, QT Q9 or JT, he's gonna call another pot too, so then you don't know if you need to fire a third barrell or not. I probably just take a free card on the turn as it'll be really hard to get anything to fold as if they didn't already have a draw, they just picked up extra outs.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:50 PM

You say this is your first orbit, so its a tougher call without reads, but I'm firing on the turn maybe 50% of the time here. I agree completely with AZK that this could very well be a lame attempt at the pot with a 9T, small pocket pair, or A6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] wanting to know if his pair is good. I think this is one of those spots where half the time you take it, and half the time he reraises and you fold, so I don't think it matters one way or the other until you get a solid read on what type of hand/draw he was on.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:35 PM

I made it 100, he called and his oddly played KK pwned me. FWIW I thought I could represent the J as I would play AJ/KJ just like this.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:17 AM

I guess his checkraise on the turn didn't work out too well, didn't really see KK coming in this spot. Some people might have a hard time buying the J here, but if he is a solid player and you lean on him hard enough, he'll kick himself in the ass for playing KK this way and lay it down, but more often than not he probably still calls. Also, you'd need to put him on a non-J hand before representing it yourself.