Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2005, 04:50 AM

Default Curtains Hand #2

I wouldn't really call this 'interesting', but this is an easy push for me. BB needs to be very loose for this not to be a push, and I don't remember him doing anything that would make us put him on such a loose calling range. Maybe missed because of multitabling?

PartyPoker, Big Blind is t200 (5 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1320)
CO (t1620)
Button (t3770)
Hero (t1440)
BB (t1850)

Preflop: Hero is in SB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">Hero folds</font>
Old 12-28-2005, 04:59 AM

Default Re: Curtains Hand #2

In a vacuum this would be a push. Curtains doesn't play in one.

If his opponent calls and the table sees the hand, it can have significant impacts on his opponents future calling standards, particularly at the 215's.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:05 AM

Villian has to be pretty loose to fold here, but if villian puts Curtains on any two and makes the right adjustment it is a fold, but not by a lot.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:12 AM

I've also found that my occassional fold from the SB gets thinking BBs to fold way too much to my pushes in later rounds when the blinds are even higher. Giving up slight present EV for a high probability of still-higher future EV is a good deal.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:23 AM

I did consider that, but I'd think that is more of a move to pull in level 4, not level 6. 300 chips is just worth too much here to fold IMO.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If his opponent calls and the table sees the hand, it can have significant impacts on his opponents future calling standards, particularly at the 215's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice post. I still assume it's a push though...
Old 12-28-2005, 06:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are saying, since Curtains is so worried about his table image he never steals with garbage? I don't buy it.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:38 AM

People who claim that they don't understand the math and fold in this spot are FOS. You can't just shove a lot more as your position improves or as your get shorter because the calling ranges go up as well. The NE here is like 65% push and 30% call. 94o is one of the last hands that you should be looking to shove here. This is a clear fold.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't just shove a lot more as your position improves or as your get shorter because the calling ranges go up as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually you can.

[ QUOTE ]
This is a clear fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

BB has to be calling 27% here for the push to be breakeven (although you lose future FE).
Old 12-28-2005, 08:52 AM

I know that this is +EV, but I just don't believe in constantly moving allin with any 2 in spots like this. If you do it too often it can make sit and gos very hard to play. I play the same opponents too often for me to just blindly move allin with any two from the SB in spots like this.

Of course pushing is fine, and of course I know its anywhere from +.1-.3 EV, but these SB vs BB situations are special IMO and I can't abuse them by just pushing every single time, because once the blinds get this high, its almost always correct to push 100% of the time. I sure as hell notice when others do this, and I suspect others do as well. I mean I will push a lot of hands here, but Im fine with folding 94o.

I'm willing to give up a bit of EV here and there so my image isnt that of a complete maniac whom will constantly push any 2. It can be important when I play in sets where one guy is in 8/10 of my games and another is in 6 and then I can expect the same tomorrow and etc etc.