Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2005, 11:12 PM

Default Re: Curtains gets frisky in the blinds

It looks like a blocking bet. Curtains really can't tell what his opponent has and he probably feels that minibetting will help him more than checking. He could already be ahead, in which case its unlikely that he will be bluffed off of a superior hand with this minibet whereas a check shows more weakness. The minibet also might serve to pacify an Ace and cause the button to only call with top pair, giving curtains a chance to take the lead with a river card.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:14 PM

btw I would have just check/folded if the turn card wasnt a queen.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
btw I would have just check/folded if the turn card wasnt a queen.

[/ QUOTE ]

So are you essentially trying to price yourself into a 5 outer?

ok, just read your first post and newt's post.

My thinking is that good or bad player, your check raise on the flop is very rarely called by someone without an A. I suppose there's a chance they had a lower piece of the flop or something like TT, but I'm skeptical.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:16 PM

Curtains,

What would you have done if your opponent was Newt Buggs or Custer...point being, that they could read such a small bet as a blocking bet and bet you off the hand with air, since you never bet 100 into this pot with the nuts. Well not as far as I've ever noticed.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:20 PM

Well obviously newt or custer never limp in on the button in round 4 and bet 100 into a 300 pot, thus the situation will never happen with such players. Because of this its simply irrelevant to even think about what to do against them in such a spot.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:21 PM

I would almost never open limp on the button as the villain did.

[censored], i'm too slow again!!! I can't match your posting skills curtains
Old 12-22-2005, 11:23 PM

i also think the % chance he has Ax after the flop action is very high, and hes not going to let it go no matter what you do
Old 12-22-2005, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

wuwei has clearly done a good job with this project, as he's picked almost all of the weirdly played hands that I was hoping wouldn't get posted, as they sometimes make me look stupid [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

My goal has been to find a bad bubble push, a missed push, or a bad call, but so far the few I've punched into SNGPT that I think might fit those is just marginal [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I do have a few more HH to go, though.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:45 PM

Curtains,

Let me rephrase. It seems to me that you mix up your play depending on the style of opponent you're up against. If it's a weak player who will open limp from the button, then you might react with a blocking bet later in the hand if the proper opportunity arises.

Yet at the same time, it would seem to me that you would never resort to using a similar tactic (ie blocking bet) against Newt in a different but similar situation because he would be able to see it for what it is and exploit the situation.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the past it seems that you've discounted "reads" as a large part of your game. The vast majority of the arguments in your posts are based upon situational factors: stack sizes, blinds, position, strenrth of hands, etc. So I found this example unique because you seemed to be making a play (flop: bluff check-raise & turn: blocking bet) because you viewed your opponent as a poor player. But I am guessing here.

So, how much do you adjust the style of your play based upon how you judge your opponent? When you say "I knew my opponent wasn't a great player" is this based off of his preflop limp or from earlier played hands?

If you adjust your play depending on the "strength" of your opponent, what kind of adjustments should you make when playing a weaker opponent.
I would think at a more straight forward "A-B-C" style of poker would have the best results, since the more subtle tricky plays are often lost on poor opponents. So I was wondering why you would try and bluff re-raise a poor opponent with nothing? I'm sure you saw weakness in his flop bet and tried to steal it from him. But did you take into consideration that he wasn't a good player when you made that choice? Or was your decision based solely on the fact that you saw an opportunity to take away the hand?

Thanks again for allowing people to post your hands. I read everyone religiously and have found them as well as your comments and feedback immensly helpful.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dont get it, whats with all the curtains posts?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Curtains is one of the best SNG'ers out there.

He is allowing one player a day review his 24 SNG's, and post interesting hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

$HIT!!! I just looked at his blog and his roi is 20%. Ya, he must be [censored] good, maybe just a lucksack....