Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-07-2005, 04:38 AM

Default Re: Teach me to play LAG

[ QUOTE ]
I think this kind of bluff

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know why everyone is so set on assuming this is a bluff...while in this particular instance villian may have had an ace, the fact remains that when playing three handed like this often times hero is ahead here.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:48 AM

well, i think its fair to say the purpose of the bet is always a bluff.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you'd be surprised.
just because most 2+2ers would never call here with a worse hand, if you ever actually played shorthanded deep-stacked NL you will see a lot of value betting with hands you wouldn't believe.

so while it may sometimes be a bluff...often times it won't.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you ever actually played shorthanded deep-stacked NL

[/ QUOTE ]

a) i often play shorthanded deep-stacked NL.
b) they arent deepstacked
c) i dont think bruiser expects to ever get called with a worse hand here. If this is "often" getting called by JJ in your game, then i need to book a flight to LAX.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
c) i dont think bruiser expects to ever get called with a worse hand here. If this is "often" getting called by JJ in your game, then i need to book a flight to LAX.

[/ QUOTE ]

if bruiser is never raising here w/ a bluff then he A)won't ever get called by a worse hand and B)shouldn't be playing 3 handed NL.

let me ask you this:

you call a standard raise in position with KJ suited...flop a gutshot and call a pot size bet on the flop looking to make a move on the turn...now the turn comes and gives you a flush draw to go along with your gutshot...you feel you've got pretty good folding equity if the guy has something like KQ or JJ on down...are you going to just call and try to make your hand or take a stab at the pot?

if you only raise in this spot with the best hand you aren't going to be very hard to play against.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:37 AM

what i'm saying is this: in this specific case, although bruiser may have the best hand, he will never be called with a worse one.

of course bruiser should be making this move from time to time with K high, 9 high, whatever. In this case he happens to have a pair of Qs, but in terms of his chances of winning this particular pot his cards do not matter. Except that if he gets called he may have some outs.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes when the turn card is drawy, he can get called by a worse hand here if the game is juiced.

But there are other reasons to raise. If you just raise here w/ big hands, that becomes easy to play against.

If you call and he has crap, you give him a free card to improve if he's gonna give up.

If you call and you are not auto-calling river, you give him a chance to bluff you on the river w/ his KJ.

And so forth.

Basically, listen to rbk. I do not think he is saying this is a value raise, just that there are many reasons to raise and your hand is often good.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd say he's more representing an Ace or two pair. I doubt Villain folds Aces up.

[/ QUOTE ]

playing three handed i think his range of possible holdings here is WAY wider then aces up.
i really like the delayed semi-bluff when playing shorthanded in position.

the real question you need to ask is will this player fold A9 in this spot not whether he'll fold aces up.

you also have to realize alot of the time you're Q is good here.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is what i was thinking about in the game. turned out my opponent had AJ and called pretty quick. was happy with my read about what he had, not sure how he can call there. but ultimately, i did just about get stacked there.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd say he's more representing an Ace or two pair. I doubt Villain folds Aces up.

[/ QUOTE ]

playing three handed i think his range of possible holdings here is WAY wider then aces up.

the real question you need to ask is will this player fold A9 in this spot not whether he'll fold aces up.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is what i was thinking about in the game. turned out my opponent had AJ and called pretty quick. was happy with my read about what he had, not sure how he can call there. but ultimately, i did just about get stacked there.

[/ QUOTE ] I think SB vs BB people look you up a lot easier.

edit: one more comment, if 7 added 2suit villain is more likely to look you up as you can have pair (or gut) + flush draw now.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
he probably looked you up since board is pretty dry and he figured you'd flatcall the turn bet with good hands and commit on river with position.