Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-06-2005, 08:54 PM

Default Re: Question for Riverboatking

[ QUOTE ]
Uh, no. Player A bets 1/3 pot on the river after betting/getting called on flop & turn. Player B check-raises all in. Player A calls w/A high. I don't see how that is awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
However, my point was that if this hand had been posted just by some random person, and the last line was asking what hero should do on the river after being check/raised, just about everyone would say fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your point was not at all obvious from your previous comment.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:55 PM

As scdavis just posted, my thought is that the river bet was a bluff and then he got a read that made him decide that he had the best hand.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:40 PM

Default Additional note...

Riverboatking took practically no time to call the river check-raise all-in.

Garland
Old 11-06-2005, 09:45 PM

Default Re: Additional note...

that's a cruel bluff induce on the river

probably made the guy quit poker

musta had a nice read to take that river action. awesome.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:09 PM

Look at the board. Does any hand that is not a full house checkraise this river for value? None that the villain could have (namely, some 6). Could villain have a fullhouse? There is a flush draw and a straight draw on the flop, and the turn brings another flush draw, so a set is extremely unlikely. So villain basically can't have a fullhouse.

So villain is bluffing. Most of these bluffs won't contain a pair because that would require villain to have some crazy trash hand. J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] x [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is one of very few reasonable holdings that could contain a pair (A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] are taken), but would he checkraise the river with a jack as a bluff?
Old 11-06-2005, 10:15 PM

Did we ever get results? Riverboatking, want to chime in here? Also, please explain your thinking.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Look at the board. Does any hand that is not a full house checkraise this river for value? None that the villain could have (namely, some 6). Could villain have a fullhouse? There is a flush draw and a straight draw on the flop, and the turn brings another flush draw, so a set is extremely unlikely. So villain basically can't have a fullhouse.

So villain is bluffing. Most of these bluffs won't contain a pair because that would require villain to have some crazy trash hand. J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] x [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is one of very few reasonable holdings that could contain a pair (A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] are taken), but would he checkraise the river with a jack as a bluff?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the villian c/r'ing allin with the 6c makes sense.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:46 PM

Yeah, 56 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or 67 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] would work also.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:05 PM

garland please clarify something...is this the hand that took place on L@TB?

and if it is it wasn't a checkraise on the river the announcers just got the action wrong...i pushed the river...however because i had verbally declared all-in on the river and didn't toss the 5K chip into the pot until after i was called the commentators incorrectly stated that i called a checkraise all-in.

sorry to dissapoint all you guys who were hoping i made some kind of sick read...while i have made some pretty big calls with pretty marginal holdings this wasn't the case here.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:20 PM

Default Results...

[ QUOTE ]
garland please clarify something...is this the hand that took place on L@TB?

and if it is it wasn't a checkraise on the river the announcers just got the action wrong...i pushed the river...however because i had verbally declared all-in on the river and didn't toss the 5K chip into the pot until after i was called the commentators incorrectly stated that i called a checkraise all-in.

sorry to dissapoint all you guys who were hoping i made some kind of sick read...while i have made some pretty big calls with pretty marginal holdings this wasn't the case here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this happened at Live At The Bike about 5 or 6 months ago. I only have the announcers and what I see on the screen to go by. It appeared that you put one chip out on the river, the announcers said $1K bet and Frank moved all his chips to the middle and that you called.

Now it's apparent that you pushed the river, which makes more sense. I didn't think a $1K bluff made much sense into a $3K pot. You must have put Frank on a weak J that you were trying to push him off of.

I guess I would have played it differently on the turn by checking. I'm drawing live with the nut flush draw and overs, and I'd prefer not to get check-raised all-in right there. However, you probably had a read that Frank was weak so you tried to take it down right there.

Results: Frank shows Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] for the win. (Kim had pocket 8s)

Thank you, riverboatking, for making sense of this hand. It was bothering me for a few weeks (it's one of the hands that gets played over and over when Live At The Bike isn't on air).

Garland