Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-01-2005, 11:55 PM

Default Re: 50/100 vs. GoG

[ QUOTE ]
Why not bet or CR the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-02-2005, 12:02 AM

The questions here are how much do you like your hand out of position with a good player who raised preflop and what turn cards are you going to like. You are going to like the 2 non-spade aces, 3 jacks, and very low non-spade cards. Since it is 4 handed he could have a wider range of hands, which is why you would not necessarily like another 8 or 6 on the turn in case he raised with As6o/As8o, not to mention other nearby straight cards. I would rather be done with this hand on the flop out of position and would probably go for a checkraise to achieve that. If he checks behind then at the least the pot has been kept small, and if he calls a checkraise then I am looking for a cheap showdown or to fold to a real bad card. If you get much action from him you probably won't like it.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:51 AM

how much is in the pot on the turn?
you say he raised preflop but you give no indication as to how big the raise was...or for that matter if its his standard raise or his preflop raising standards...
i'm not sure how you expect people to respond intelligently when you leave out all the pertinent info.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how much is in the pot on the turn?
you say he raised preflop but you give no indication as to how big the raise was...or for that matter if its his standard raise or his preflop raising standards...
i'm not sure how you expect people to respond intelligently when you leave out all the pertinent info.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYI, in UB big games, "raise" generally means "raise pot" and is the standard raise.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to check-call this flop, and check-fold a blank turn, why are you even calling preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because some people like to play real poker, instead of easy, cookie cutter, cheap decision poker.

Just because you play AJ preflop doesn't mean you have to go broke with a jack, nor does it mean you have to get it all in. You play AJ because it might be the best hand or it might not. The fun part is figuring out when it is and when it isn't. This cookie cutter disease is getting crazy.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FYI, in UB big games, "raise" generally means "raise pot" and is the standard raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks.
i hate UB for the "bet pot" feature.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What does that mean Yeti? I doubt I'll be able to pick anything up or get a feel for what GoG is doing by "seeing what happens".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why are you sat with him then?

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed if you have no hopes of reading him and are resigned to that fate, maybe its not a good spot for you.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:38 AM

Against a TAG, I like to lead the turn, and am usually folding to a raise.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:14 AM

Why check/call on the flop?

Ask some questions I would say.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to check-call this flop, and check-fold a blank turn, why are you even calling preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because some people like to play real poker, instead of easy, cookie cutter, cheap decision poker.

Just because you play AJ preflop doesn't mean you have to go broke with a jack, nor does it mean you have to get it all in. You play AJ because it might be the best hand or it might not. The fun part is figuring out when it is and when it isn't. This cookie cutter disease is getting crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yawn.

And going 'check-call, check-fold' is playing real poker? How could check-folding this turn ever be good? Or, alternatively, we do 'the Bruiser', that is, 'check-call, check-call, check-fold'. Is that better?

You realise everyone of Bruiser's posts lately have exhibited weak play? Do you not think a smart player like GoG would be betting this turn with a very wide range of hands, of which Danny is in very good shape against?

This situation is not uncommon. I gave my standard line because it's the one that over time I have decided upon as the best option.

I interchange this with leading the flop, which may be better in this situation because Danny is obviously scared of GoG, and he may want to take control of the hand early on.

I have tried check-raising in this situation with poor results. Maybe it was just bad timing. It does open you up to getting shoved over on the flop, or outplayed on later streets, neither of which you can do a lot about. I prefer the other lines.