Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 12-12-2005, 04:05 AM

Default Hypothetical hand T987ss flops bottom 2 pair and str8 draw

I played a hand like this today, and couldn't find the hand history, so it's hypothetical...

What's your plan? Typical loose/passive PLO $100 table. Everyone has 60-100bb.

Hero in SB w/ T987ss

4 limpers
Hero completes, BB checks

Flop A98r

Hero???
Old 12-12-2005, 04:33 AM

Default Re: Hypothetical hand T987ss flops bottom 2 pair and str8 draw

OOP 6 way w/ 4 nut outs = check/fold
Old 12-12-2005, 09:39 AM

Pot the flop, bet 2/3 pot on turn if 6, J, 9 or 8 falls. Bet 1/2 pot on turn for any other card, fold to a reraise on all street against most players. If a 6, J, 9 or 8 falls and you get called on the turn, I would most likely check call the river, but again, it depends on the player.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OOP 6 way w/ 4 nut outs = check/fold

[/ QUOTE ]

and...

[ QUOTE ]
Pot the flop, bet 2/3 pot on turn if 6, J, 9 or 8 falls. Bet 1/2 pot on turn for any other card, fold to a reraise on all street against most players. If a 6, J, 9 or 8 falls and you get called on the turn, I would most likely check call the river, but again, it depends on the player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could the advice be more different?

If the table is loose passive, and your image is strong, I would raise that hand even from the SB, reduce the field, and use that ace as a scare card. Between the times you win uncontested and the times you hit the nuts and stack someone, you will usually make up for the times you run into a bigger hand.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious, but what situations do you not look to build a large pot with bottom two and a weakish draw?

I really am just curious and not dissing your line.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:37 PM

The field is definintely too large to lead into with an A on the flop, because lots of players with an A and 2 or 3 broadways will call and when a K or Q or even any other low non-straigtening card comes you will then be beat and not know it, in addition to drawing weak. So I would check and fold. You could call if you were getting 3 plus callers and then take off a card hoping to spike the nut 6. But even then, if you hit that and lead the turn you usually will just get called and will never know where you stand when a scare card comes on the river. And if you check with the intention of raising, you will often just be giving a free card. Plus there is the possibility of someone making the same straight with you but be freerolling to a better one. This just isn't a hand you want to risk your stack on out of position with a large crowd seeing the flop on that board.

Regarding Tilt's comments about raising this preflop from the SB, this play is made a lot at the higher levels where deep stacks are involved and the SB might minraise, not with the intention of representing the A in a large field (although headsup you would), but with the intention of getting reraised by AA/KK and generating a big pot and getting someone with such a hand to dump their stack on a good flop for the SB's hand.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:05 PM

Raise to 5$ preflop and play it like I've flopped a set of aces until someone shows me they don't believe me.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:10 PM

<Just curious, but what situations do you not look to build a large pot with bottom two and a weakish draw?>

Who's looking to build a large pot? 4 or 5 handed you could easily have the best hand right now and you have some outs to improve. Against a passive table I'll bet this flop everytime and bet a lot of scare cards on the turn. Too much of the advice on this forum refers to situations in which you have no reads whatsoever and no indication of how your opponents play.

Given that I know my opponents and that they are, in this case, very passive, I would take this line most of the time. I would also raise or reraise this in any position a lot of the time preflop.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This just isn't a hand you want to risk your stack on out of position with a large crowd seeing the flop on that board.

[/ QUOTE ]

I forgot that every PLO hand gets to showdown everytime. Can someone change the FAQ to reflect that?
Old 12-12-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Too much of the advice on this forum refers to situations in which you have no reads whatsoever and no indication of how your opponents play.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is certainly true, but in most circumstances is just the way it has to be. Either people don't post reads, or the reads are vague enough to not be that useful. Even in this thread, when joewatch said that the table was loose/passive, was this on all streets or just pre-flop? I certainly see a lot of tables where pre-flop hand selection is pretty loose, but where play tightens up and gets quite aggressive as people play through the streets.

Given the lack of reads, a lot of the advice here just boils down to variations on the mathematically correct play given the range of hands indicated by an opponents betting pattern. I guess this is what makes answering such posts tedious for those who have been here for a long time.

But you are right, poker is never played in a vacuum and understanding the tendencies of the opponent will certainly increase your edge. If everyone posted screen-captured video of their table, I'm sure the advice would get a lot more interesting and the differences in style between various posters would become even more transparent.