Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 11:49 AM

Default i hate the way I played this AJ hand... any suggestions?

Villain is 22/8/2.4, but no real reads on him. I think I went nuts on the river with that bet.... and possibly overplayed the turn. How do you guys play this?

PS. Sorry about the messed up hand history, you get the idea though, damn converter.

Party Poker Pot-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter

Hero ($99)
BB ($109.30)
UTG ($127.85)
UTG+1 ($110.15)
UTG+2 ($114.55)
MP1 ($29.15)
MP2 ($58.36)
MP3 ($68.25)
CO ($138.75)
Button ($76.35)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $1, UTG+2 calls $1, MP1 calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls $1, CO calls $1, Button calls $1, Hero (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($8) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls $5, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls $5, Button folds.

Turn: ($23) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, UTG+1 folds, CO calls $15.

River: ($53) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $35</font>, CO goes all-in for 41 more, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $88

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
CO has 4d 4h (four of a kind, fours).
Outcome: </font>
Old 10-22-2005, 12:13 PM

Default Re: i hate the way I played this AJ hand... any suggestions?

why didn't you raise pre-flop? Here are my changes

1) Raise pre-flop
2) Check raise flop
3) Bet out on turn

If my check raise gets re-raised on flop or if I get raised on turn I need to really think about dropping this hand. I didn't read the results so he is either drawing with an 9 10, really likes his 8 or 4, or has a set. I would think for sure two pair would have raised you on flop. Either way, try to force hands like J8, 910 oughta the hand pre-flop with a raise. My suspicion is you lost the hand given the title. So he must have flopped a set or two pair all of which should have been folded pre-flop with a good raise. IF they didn't fold they are the donks for drawing to a set (1:8) when not getting the odds on those small pocket pairs (guessing he had pocket 4's or 8's).
Old 10-22-2005, 12:30 PM

raising AJo into a field of 6 limpers (+BB) is a bad idea. There is very little chance you are taking it down preflop and then you are left with a bad hand out of position, with a large pot.

Raising the flop and turn is fine, but after the turn I'd have serious questions about what the villian has. I'd probably end up check/calling the river, or check/folding the river depending on what I put the villian on. There are very few hands that you beat with TPTK that play this way.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:34 PM

check the turn and block bet the river for 15. the way it was played ur bet had to be proportional to the pot, committing you. if villain bets the turn call a moderate sized bet but only bet the river if you improve. he is 22% on full ring and check calling with what? a str8 draw? sounds fishy..
Old 10-22-2005, 05:32 PM

check turn, checkcall river....i dont understand why a blockbet is suggested here at all....and for godsakes dont raise pf.

ur flop play was good for such a dry board.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:53 PM

There is no way I can find a reraise with AJo into 6 limpers in full ring.

I would check the turn, call a reasonably sized bet and probably c/f the river. Is this line too weak/passive? (I play $25NL)
Old 10-22-2005, 08:30 PM

I think its best not to raise from the SB, playing... any hand out of position = hard, let alone AJ. Metagame speaking I think it sucks when you consistently raise with good hands, and have to fold to a raise/flop bet if you miss, especially out of position.

You should bet the flop, and you should probably bet the turn, but the river is a definite fold. It's pretty hard not to lose some chips when you're playing TPTK vs a sandbagging set.

My concern is giving free cards/having to call down pot sized bets if you decide to check/call the turn and river...
Old 10-22-2005, 08:41 PM

complete pre
bet flop pretty much just like you did, maybe a bit more
check fold turn
check fold river unless bet quite small

with that many opponents AJ is not really interested in tptk imo. You were completing to hit a huge hand not this. Once you get a caller you have to ask what the heck does he have that I beat? A smaller J. how likely is that? a straight draw. how likely is that? combined these aren't that likely.

my line may be weak(but so is this hand and position)/tight. you took your shot to try to pick up the pot and it failed so dump it.

I doubt you're loosing anything by folding this pre either. maybe a little.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:52 PM

Considering viallian's tight stats I am worried by his flop call, but would probably fire another bullet on the turn. If hes still around after this I'll try and check the river down, folding to a decent sized bet.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:18 AM

pot the flop. Turn is a check, but if you're going to bet, bet around half pot. I know its a wuss bet, but I'm not too crazy about getting called by 2 players with position on me on a drawless board. If you bet the turn, check call a modest bet on the river.