Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2004, 03:32 PM

Default $50 NL 6 Max on Party and my goals...

My bankroll started with $250, and I played $25 NL 6 max and was killing the tables. I quickly ran it up to $600. I decided to move up to the $50 NL 6 max tables since I was feeling it, and I ran my roll up to $1100 in 2 days. Obviously, this could just be dumb luck, but NL has really been the only game I've been playing since I started poker.

I usually will drop 20-50 before I start winning, but so far every session has been a +200 session in roughly 2 to 3 hours. This may be just dumb luck, as I have dropped $200 in a couple hours then built it back up, but my question is this: At my current state, is $1150 enough to be confidently playing the $50 NL 6 max tables, or could I even move up? If not move up, when is the appropriate time to do that? I feel like my NL play is better than most on the party games, and I've already tagged a couple of people who dominate.

Any help would be great.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:07 PM

Default Re: $50 NL 6 Max on Party and my goals...

First hint to good advice, post in the right forum.

It sounds like you aren't playing for a living. So it all comes down to what you feel comfortable winning or losing in a period of time. If you can step down in limits if you start to lose, you can give a bigger game a shot every now and then. If you play $100 NL, you will lose $300 in a day sometime. Especailly at Party's 50BB buy in.

You don't have enough expirience to safely say you can beat the NL $50, but the players are pretty bad. Go ahead and set aside $2-300 for the NL $100, see if you like it, see if you can play your normal game there. The skill level is slightly better, but not by any means tough. It is certainly tougher than the smaller limits. If you are prone to tilt if you drop $100 right off the bat, then you should stay put. If you honestly believe you can play the same game with more money on the line, give it a shot. But as soon as you feel uncomfortable, move back down. $1150 is plenty for giving the 100 a shot every now and then until you build your roll up.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:09 PM

Thank you for your help very much.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:25 PM

The party 6 max's can be beat pretty disgustingly hard, but get careful on limits higher than 50$. What makes it profitable is the looseness of players, but that means much higher variance. I made a thousand in a week at NL$100 6 max. I have lost about $500 in a day as well.

The problem when you lose will be it hurts your mental durability as much as it will your bankroll. Even if your bankroll is 3k, don't play a limit unless dropping 3 stacks fast won't make you blink. I moved to NL100 when I had made about 2k, NL200 at 4k. Flesh out your game more at NL$50. Your bankroll seems fine for NL50.

Also be wary of other sharks swimming in the waters. Eat the litle fish.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:36 PM

Hey. People generally say about 20 buy-ins is good for playing any given limit. I play those same Party tables too sometimes, and while they are very beatable and Im glad youve had good luck so far, I would recommend playing the NL50 for a couple months, logging 30 or 40K hands in Poker Tracker, and get used to the swings. You will win over time for sure and build up your bankroll, and you'll also get used to taking disgusting hits for 5-10 buy-ins before you move up.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:13 PM

Great run - yes, a gain of that magnitude could be entirely luck, but the money is yours now so who cares. Just keep reviewing hand histories, writing notes, and thinking about how you could play better.

As far as moving up, the *instant* you hestitate to make a bet for the sole reason of worrying about the potential $$$ loss, drop down. Good players see their chips as tools and/or weapons, not money.

That is not to say you should throw money around - just that you have to be *capable* of going all-in every time you play a hand (or more specifically, other people have to know that about you).