Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 05:32 PM

Default Re: AJs flop action?

As always it depends. Do the others fold to a raise here on the flop? Will wacko donk off more of his stack if I flat call figuring to have the best hand well over 50% of the time?

If the aggressor will usually stay the aggressor, I will sometimes just smooth call the flop & turn expecting to make more $ in the long run, no matter what falls on the turn. If I have made my flush I wont pop it till the river.

I gotta figure the player in between is also playing the wacko so he figures to have a worse hand also and I have position. Also, since the other guy is in the BB when I flat call a flush on the turn possibly 20% of the time the BB pops it either trying to steal the pot figuring us to be weak or has made a flush also and is drawing dead. I cant count the times this has worked to my advantage.

This is not always my play but a little variable thats often profitable.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:36 PM

bump it up 200 and call a push

too much dead money in the middle to flat call with such a nice hand imo..especially with opponents showing major weakness
Old 12-12-2005, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

too much dead money in the middle to flat call with such a nice hand imo..especially with opponents showing major weakness

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is poor thinking with regard to the hand
Old 12-12-2005, 07:11 PM

I don't see why anybody would want to raise here. Sure, we may have the best hand, and if not, we have a good draw and a lot of equity, but lets consider what happens when you raise here.

a)You raise pot: Everybody folds.
You probably had the best hand, and pushed people off of their 2/3 outers. One of them probably had a flush draw.

b)You raise pot. One guy folds, the other guy pushes
You are pot committed, and are, at best, a 4:5 dog (v AK no spade), and much more likely to be a 3:7 dog (v a set).

c) You raise pot. Both players call.
This, of course, is a great outcome. You may get a free card, you're getting good money on your draw, you take control of the hand, you disguise your draw.... but you're pretty damn unlikely to have the best hand, unless you're playing against monkeys.

The guy is betting weakly into you, and he's probably doesn't have much of a hand. Let him keep betting it for you.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you want the weak hands to fold why? I think this is a pot where we have fold equity but don't want to use it. I just call.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:38 AM

Thanks everyone for some interesting discussion, seems a call is best here although there might be merit for other plays against certain opponents.

For those results orientated like me...
I was lost on the flop, went with my first instinct and raised it up to $140. UTG pushed $485. I decided I'm committed and called $345. UTG showed AA. Pottie wins the pot with the flush card on the turn, river blank. My advice - if you misplay a hand get lucky.