Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Value betting the river

[ QUOTE ]
no hand is calling that doesn't beat you.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, we SS'ers lose alot of value by checking behind on the river in situations like this. It's a leak in my game that I am working on. I think this is a clear value bet, 1/2 pot or so to be consistent with Hero's actions. The 2nd 5 on the board is huge, counterfeiting all of villian's possible 2 pairs. He's calling with alot of hands here that we beat. He's gone c/c, c/c, check. Take it for what it looks like, and value bet the river.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is this a joke?

you are all joking, right? given he has less than a pot bet left in his stack (and thus is not trying to get fancy with a river check raise to make more when you are deep) and thus you ain't scared of a c/r, there is no reason to not value bet this river.

i might even push to make it look life a bluff. a J will look you up. there is no way you are not ahead in this spot, like 99% you are ahead so bet the only question is how much to bet. bet half pot or push, depends on his calling propensity.

[/ QUOTE ]everyone just listeb to duck.
that river card was the nuts for you... it hit so many of his hands... squeeze some value man.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:38 PM

Easy all in. What the heck are you guys talking about? Do the people who said the check even play 1/2 6max?
Old 10-22-2005, 08:53 PM

i agree, i'm confused

seems like an easy value bet, or even a push
Old 10-22-2005, 09:01 PM

Value betting here very much depends on reads on villain. If he is loose-passive enough to call with a worse hand, bet. If not, check behind.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Value betting here very much depends on reads on villain. If he is loose-passive enough to call with a worse hand, bet. If not, check behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't make sense really. Try again to explain what you are saying here. As it stands, it sounds like you are saying don't bet because he probably won't call with a worse hand. So don't try? I don't see villain letting this one go very often, if he has liked his hand thus far, and the J could easily have made him falsely comfortable with his TJ "top two" hand.

-T
Old 10-22-2005, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This doesn't make sense really. Try again to explain what you are saying here. As it stands, it sounds like you are saying don't bet because he probably won't call with a worse hand. So don't try? I don't see villain letting this one go very often, if he has liked his hand thus far, and the J could easily have made him falsely comfortable with his TJ "top two" hand

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, sorry if it seemed unclear -what I mean is that against loose-passive donkeys a value bet here is pretty mandatory, but against tight, tricky players it could do more harm than good as they will not often show down a worse hand.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:36 PM

I agree that this is a pretty good spot for a value bet, but there's something about this logic that I find a bit confusing. Say Villain has KQc or 78c, or even JJ, hands which hit the river big. If villain open pushes the river, is hero always going to make a call getting 3:1? (I think I find a fold versus certain villains, though we have no read here.) On the other hand, if villain knows that everyone value bets their overpairs in spots like this, then checking the river seems like a +EV play, since it'll ensure that the money gets in after the check-raise. (It also gives hero a chance to bluff his missed draws, the times he has a hand like AKd.)

I'm a winner in the 1/2 game and I never have any of those T type hands op mentioned...you may get a crying call from TJ or JQ though.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:44 PM

first of all if he has those hands,especially the gut shot, good for him. it's far more likely he hit top pair or made a worse two pair on the river or maybe even will call with a T if he is truly bad.

you are not considering stack sizes in this response - c/r on river does not make sense when villain has less than pot left in his stack... that's why i say it's an autobet. if we were deep then while i'm probably still betting, a case could be made for checking. and in that case oyu have to worry to bet enough to seem strong while folding to a c/r. here none of that matters since villain has no money left. just put him in and be done with it.

think about hand ranges, not only the few hands he could have that are beating us. his hand range is large and we are crushing most of it, so stick the money in and stop playing scared poker.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:35 AM

Yo, after I was an ass and said this was such an easy river push, I'm curious for results.