Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 12:26 PM

Default Re: My First SNG single table...Comments on my heads up???

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If your playing a heads-up chump (no offense but according to this hand history Id consider you one) just raising instead of pushing will work too.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's really bad advice. Push, don't raise. Just raising with the blinds that high is for "heads up chumps."

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree it is bad advice and I always push but this guy folded to many raises (LOL). Seemed to work for his opponent. Im just saying if you're playing a really bad opponent he'll even fold to raises.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:27 PM

You are probably feeling ganged up on. I'm not going to help.

You played nearly every hand badly. Based on the way you play head up, it is almost certain that you play 3 handed and 4 handed and 5 handed incorrectly.

It's your first one, so there's no reason you should know how to play these single table tournaments. Search around here and you'll figure it out.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:27 PM

Raising, re-raising and all in's? I think I'm trying to play only premiums which don't apply in heads up, and I'm too mechanical. Thanks for the input
Old 06-06-2005, 12:30 PM

Could you elaborate some on 3/4/5 way play some, please? I have big shoulders, but my balls are tender, so I'n not feeling ganged up on...YET [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-06-2005, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, what are you limping with crap hands for? You are giving free cards to the other player and bleeding chips.

[/ QUOTE ]
You are right. I was doing that because I was in all hands because ot the blinds, so I was hoping to maybe catch a flop.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:42 PM

Pretty tough to say anything meaningful in one post. The best thing to do is search out the first post by The_Shadow and read the threads he links to. There is a guide by Aleomagus which is a very good start.

When you start getting to around 5 players and the blinds are getting pretty high, you should start finding places to steal blinds. You decide where by considering position, your stack size, the stack sizes of the blinds and your cards. You steal with big bets. 2.5 x the Big blinds to allin. Almost never put in more than 30% of your stack without pushing.

Be careful when there are 4 left, but you will probably have to keep stealing, and even if you don't have to, it will probably be the right thing to do.

Generally in the later part of the game try and be the first one in the pot.

When you are in the money, you should be more aggressive still and when head up you should be very aggressive.

Ok, well this response is totally inadequate. It takes a lot of work to write a guide and it's been done better than I could do it. There is a FAQ by citanul in here that is also helpful. There is a search function that lets you search by poster.

Most people at the tables, after seeing a very good player play the endgame, think that he/she is a total idiot.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I'm trying to play only premiums which don't apply in heads up, and I'm too mechanical.

[/ QUOTE ]
This point needs to be emphasized. You can wait for premium hands in a full ring because you only take the blinds 20% of the time. In headsup, you're putting money into the pot EVERY SINGLE HAND. If you only raise with big hands, you're going to lose almost all the time, because you won't play enough hands to stay ahead of the blinds, and your opponent will have a fantastic read on you.

You need to be unpredictable and super-aggressive.

One other note -- on the hand you made the nut straight, you needed to check the flop, and hopefully give your opponent a chance to make something to bet with. Your need to double up should dispel any fears about giving a free card.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:38 PM

Be more aggressive. You folded the winning hand I'm guessing like 10 times.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:40 PM

Than. I searched The_Shadow, and couln't find anything. Do you have the link? I'll search the other reference on FAQ's. Cheers.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:19 PM

One thing to remember. Your opponent is getting the same crappy cards you are.