Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2005, 10:07 PM

Default Re: AA in big blind

reread my post. nowhere did I say open raise of 3xbb.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:25 PM

True, but you seem to be implying that a 5xBB reraise in this situation would have the same effect as open raise to 3xBB. I am simply stating that it's not. I maintain this is too small a raise to achieve the desired effect.

Magik
Old 02-07-2005, 10:32 PM

please reread what I said and reread the original post.

First of all. hero reraised to 100 dollars

a reraise of 5 times the initial RAISE. a reraise of 20xBB.

apparently thats not high enough for you. Apparently you raise to 150, 30xbb routinely with AA and you automatically know that the sizable reraise of 100 is going to get you 3 callers but 150 will limit the playing field.

Please don't let the result of HERO getting 3 callers dictate your post.

If I pushed in half my stack and got the table to call, that doesn't mean pushing in my full stack will get it HU.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:43 PM

Sorry, didn't mean 5xBB. I would personally raise to at least $150. I want to limit the field, and am not entirely opposed to taking it down preflop. With a raise and callers, I don't want several people trying to outflop me. Again, I am just saying that there was a raise and callers, and a significant reraise is in order. I just don't feel this raise is enough in this particular situation (an EP raiser and callers). Ideally the first raiser has KK and plays back and we get it in. If someone wants to play, I want them to commit (when we have medium stacks and I have AA). I understand your point about not knowing the exact effect of the raise, but would you honestly only raise to $100 in this situation? I wouldn't.

Magik
Old 02-08-2005, 12:01 AM

sigh

the main reason hero should make a bigger raise is that regardless of whether hero knows if there are one, two, or three callers, any villain would be getting proper odds for a set, while also knowing that hero has AA from this "sizeable" raise. hero is also out of position on all rounds post flop. the initial blinds make no difference to hero's raise after the initial raise, even if it is 30x BB. If you think raising this much is so big, isn't it good enough to take down a 20xBB pot with a significant raise with AA than to give odds to draw against and get utterly owned?

the raise isn't the magnitude compared to the blind, the raise is based on the magnitude of the pot, the inital raise, the number of calls behind, and position. please stop the suck by assuming that a raise to 20xBB is humongous.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:27 AM

*shrug*....I think Hero was ahead. =\
Old 02-08-2005, 03:02 PM

My preflop raise to 100 would give improper odds to call with pocket pair as the pot would be laying 5½-1 assuming everyone calls.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My preflop raise to 100 would give improper odds to call with pocket pair as the pot would be laying 5½-1 assuming everyone calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're forgetting implied odds...
Old 02-08-2005, 04:34 PM

Exactly.

Magik
Old 02-08-2005, 05:13 PM

I understand perfectly the reasons for a reraise and implied odds to hit a set.

Please reread again. Hero did not give implied odds for a set as 100 is 1/7th his stack.

and yes the raise is based on the initial raise. typically 5 times the initial raise is more than enough.

strictly speaking EV wise, reraising to 100 and getting 3 callers is much better than reraising to 150 and getting headsup assuming you can play well postflop.

I don't want to argue this anymore. I still think a lot of you guys are using the result of HERO getting 3 callers to criticize his preflop reraise amount when faced with the same decision, you would have reraised to same amount.