Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-25-2005, 06:42 AM

Default OT: There IS a difference between good and bad players

Aight for a long time I've wondered if there was really a big difference between good and bad players. I've had a few experiences over the last couple days that have made me question how big the difference is. First of all, I played Unarmed in three HU tourneys on Stars. Got whipped every time, and there was absolutely nothing I could do to get the best of him at any point. Good player with the mental pwnage over bad player. Right now I'm watching this UltimateBet.com tourney on FSN. As you watch them play, you see the action and recoginize the feel of how the hand should develop. Then these players make totally irrational deviations from that. Like really, there could be absolutely no reason behind any of the moves. If you watch a game more like the 5 diamond classic, you'll see the fluidity in the game as the players are really thinking about it. But these horrible players clearly don't think about it.

MP raises with 66. MP2 calls with AQ. Flop is 642, MP checks, MP2 bets, MP raises all-in, MP2 immediately calls.

K let's look at this. Preflop raise with a small pair, whatever, that's cool. Cold call with AQ? Sure. Now MP flops a set...he raised preflop, so he is expected to lead on the flop, particularly something like this. But he checks! He could only check if he expects that will soften his opponent up...surely no rational opponent would bet in position there - it's too likely to be a trap. So then MP decides that since he has the deck crippled and MP2 can only have been semi-bluffing overcards, the bet most likely to be called is a push?!?! That's a ridiculous conclusion..do you see why? Now finally, after we've seen THREE shifts of control on only two streets, this dude decides that AQ is good.

There is no rational thought to bad players. Giga says everyone has their own rationale for their actions. True, but rationale doesn't necessitate logic. A player may have his reasons for playing a certain way, but no locig was used to decide upon it.

Here was an awesome comment about the tournament. Some dude got his money in with like 82o preflop vs K7. Or some other ridiculously stupid confrontation. 82o catches a deuce on the river, and woman adeptly points out:
"Wow that's just like internet poker." Gee. At first glance when you hear that you just go "Duh, it's poker. People catch shaz all the time." However I suppose it is in fact applicable because only online would such absurd "battles" occur. Bravo to woman.

There's some more ish I'm thinkin about. Gonna let some people read and comment on this before I continue.

Also I hope you're not reading this ish on Christmas. I'm only posting cause I'm waiting for Santa and he hasn't come so I'm extremely bored.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-25-2005, 06:57 AM

Default Re: OT: There IS a difference between good and bad players

lol, announcer #1 goes "If I had to eyeball it they're probably about even." Announcer #2: "Yeah, she's got about a 2-1 chip lead over him"

fin right doggie.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:15 AM

what ive found more than anything else is poor players dont understand that poker is a reletive strength game. I've tried to teach people before that see every hand for what it is, and ignore what is possibly out there. As in, "I had a straight, and he raised me all in, but i mean, i had a straight, i cant lay that down!" then I find out he lost to a flush. Ok, happens, then i find out there were 4 to a flush on the board. He never mentions it, cause in his mind, he has a straight, a straight is good, end of analisis.

There are lots of guys that just dont care and will go all in with any 2 cause they know they get lucky alot. I mean, the sad truth is they will usually win at least 30 to 40% of the time when called, and will win often without a call. So easy to see how they can just have fun donking and get lucky often enough to have fun.

But the other bad players actually care, they just cant see enough of the big picture to make decent decisions
Old 12-25-2005, 09:17 AM

Merry Christmas you guys.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:26 AM

Great post Perg. Santa is on his way just keep waiting [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] . I laugh everytime I watch some of those tournaments for the same reason you stated. Well Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Great post Perg.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto

[ QUOTE ]
I laugh everytime I watch some of those tournaments for the same reason you stated.

[/ QUOTE ]
I suspect good poker does not make good television for Joe Sixpack [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-25-2005, 01:40 PM

I know there are a lot of bad players who are confident, but I think confidence is important for a good player. Grow yourself a pair, kick Unarmed's arse, and Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2005, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

There are lots of guys that just dont care and will go all in with any 2 cause they know they get lucky alot. I mean, the sad truth is they will usually win at least 30 to 40% of the time when called, and will win often without a call. So easy to see how they can just have fun donking and get lucky often enough to have fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-25-2005, 02:10 PM

Merry Christmas / Happy Hanukkah everyone.

...if Santa REALLY gets delayed, you can dive into this beast. SheridanCat posted this study regarding "Unskilled And Unaware Of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Leads to Inflated Self-Assessments". A bit mind-numbing, but somewhat on-topic. I think the game of poker feeds this flaw particularly so (gambling in general) - where the randomness involved allows anyone to experience success to a degree great enough to hinder their ability to recognize that they are one of many 'poor players'.