Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 12:00 PM

Default Dealers mouth!

I was playing in a home tournament, a player who had already been knocked out was doing the dealing and I was heads-up against a player that rarely thinks things through. On fourth Street the board only needs a king for the Ace high straight (no flush). As the dealer is pulling the river card, he announces "you aren't going to believe this" and turns over a king.......Mr. Never thinks, checks to me and I bet the size of the pot......he looks at his cards, shakes his head and acts like he is confused and is about to fold......then the dealer says "He can't have you beat, what are you doing, a straight is on the board with no flush!". What would you guys have done...other than scream when I got called?!?!?!?!
Old 10-19-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Dealers mouth!

Let me be the first to say it. You should have kicked him in the nuts.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2005, 12:39 PM

From prior posts, I probably have a different view from this kind of home game than many.

I too, often play in a game where there are players who don't have a clue. Their total poker for the year is in one or two home games, and while they probably know the ranking of hands, they know little else. (You can tell who this person is because the's the one who usually calls for stud instead of holdem or even draw poker when the button comes to him.)

I treat these games as a bonding experience rather than serious poker. Now, if I were in your case, I think would have told the guy myself that there was a nut straight on the board.

Actually, I think that this is even a +ev move. If your fishy friend is made to feel like an idiot for folding the nuts he may quit the game -- this would be VERY bad. More importantly, at least in my case, since people know I play more seriously than the rest, I worry that trying to take this pot here could affect friendships, and frankly, there's not enough money on the table to be worth it.

This being said, if I haven't described your home game (i.e., yours is more serious): Kick the dealer in the nuts.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:27 PM

Very good points! It is one of my less serious games...you are right, not enough in the pot to make a big deal over it, just thought it would be interesting to see if I could buy the pot!
Old 10-19-2005, 01:31 PM

Oh, I've done the same thing in a B&M limit game and have it work -- three way pot, the board showed the nuts, I bet, next player raised, third player folded.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:33 PM

I think I would have just let the pot go and said to the dealer that it isn't cool to comment on the hand as they can affect the play. Leave it at that.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:20 PM

We had a similar situation in our home game that was heads up that ended differently. There was an Ace-high straight on the board, when one guy who plays well went all-in. The other guy was mulling it over and about 6 people were watching.

I understood what was happening and had to grab those people who have a difficult time keeping there mouth shut, who were considering saying something. The second guy eventually folded and we showed him how he just lost half the pot.

We have a semi-serious game, but we're really there for social reasons. The guy who folded comes back and holds no grudges towards anyone.

I don't think you would have lost a player. Your opponent did learn a lesson on paying a little more attention.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:06 PM

Concede half the pot, no problem. Take the deck from the "dealer", inform him his services are no longer required and that if he ever does that to you again he will be under direct threat of violence.

Fooling fools is part of poker. He's a dick, violating both the spirit and the letter of "One head to a hand".

edit: did the "dealer" have any financial interest in your opponent beating you?
Old 10-20-2005, 04:25 PM

He was definitely wrong in saying something but since he did there's not much to be done. You could become very upset but I doubt it would help, and since it's a non serious game I'd just let it go. What's even funnier is if the fish would have called, you said straight, and he mucked his hand. There was a funny story in Card Player by Daniel Negreneau maybe 18 months back.

Another note, the dealer should know enough to not say anything unless there is a dispute, or to announce raise, call, and to count chips as if you move all in you're not required to count your own chips.

JMB
Old 10-20-2005, 06:40 PM

You can never have too much nut kicking